University Marketing & Communications (UMC) has established a list of baseline web services that it provides at no charge to all internal clients, including administrative offices, colleges, departments, service units and other groups.
Baseline Web Services
UMC provides the following baseline web services to its clients:
Use of template-based web pages and content types within sdstate.edu and the training necessary to use them to create and post content.
- Landing Pages
- "Our People" Pages
Content on sdstate.edu created by UMC will be compatible with and readable using the systems listed below.
Compatibility with any system not listed would exceed baseline services and be treated as a project, subject to an additional development cost. Addressing broken display of sdstate.edu on systems not listed here is outside the scope of baseline services.
- Windows 10 or later
- iOS (Current)
- Android (Current)
- Latest Versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Microsoft Edge
- No longer supported - Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Resources for Web Editors
To teach web editors how to add, edit and manage online content on sdstate.edu, and includes access to Drupal “Paragraphs” elements that provide layout flexibility for landing pages.
UMC provides web editors with access to Siteimprove accessibility software and training on how to use it—a requirement that must be met by all web editors before they are granted access to editing tools—to assure that all content posted on SDSU official and affiliated websites is compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.2 (Level A and AA) and Section 508 Standards.
UMC provides a set of online resources for web editors, including an online blog with notifications and additional information.
Provided for web editors to get individual assistance with web-related issues.
Contact web support to report bugs or errors occurring in pages or tools, or to request assistance resolving issues with sdstate.edu.
Other Baseline Support and Services
An audit and review of content and layout on college and department landing pages will be done and recommendations provided.
Annual set-up and access to (Google) analytics will be provided upon request to web editors for their pages. Creating heatmaps (Hotjar) to showcase user behavior on specific webpages.
UMC will provide a connection to permit the display of a feed from Facebook on landing pages.
Custom URLs and URL forwarding can be provided on an as-needed basis.
Custom Web Services
UMC can create and implement (or facilitate creation and implementation of) custom web projects—including, but not limited to, web tools, web pages, websites, content types and other features—on sdstate.edu and affiliated sites, for an additional hourly cost. UMC will advise those requesting special projects as to their appropriateness for inclusion on sdstate.edu.
Custom projects can be implemented two ways:
Through UMC identifying, integrating and implementing existing Drupal modules on sdstate.edu or an affiliate website; or
Through referring clients to the University’s web development firm of record (currently Blend Interactive of Sioux Falls) to build more complex, individualized projects.
- Development of custom tools for use within sdstate.edu or affiliated sites to support the business goals of university colleges, departments or units (for example, the Explore Majors and Careers tool, ADRDL User Guide, etc.).
- Development of custom pages within sdstate.edu that fall outside the scope of UMC Baseline Services (for example, Exercise Science page, University Archives page, etc.) for use within sdstate.edu or affiliated sites.
- Providing theming for custom projects that is consistent with sdstate.edu theming.
- Creating custom content types, style sheets, templates, etc. to provide project functionality.
- Creating custom web graphics (for example, animated GIF or SVG or modals like those).
- Providing necessary tools and training to allow management of specialized custom web tools, pages and sites by web editors.
- Providing custom copywriting and content editing assistance.
- Providing photography and video services.
- Development of a new Drupal website for an SDState affiliated organization, to be published outside of sdstate.edu (including custom templates, style sheets, content types, etc.). Note: Non-SDSU web projects will not be accepted—potential clients will be referred to external providers.
For any custom projects, UMC and/or its web development firm of record will provide a detailed scope of work, including specific deliverables, an estimate of costs, compatibility information and a projected timeline for delivery.
|Write or edit web content||$35/hr.|
|Update existing web content/content management||$35/hr.|
|Create custom HubSpot newsletter header (or other template) and set up account||$100 annual fee|
|Create custom web graphics (for example, animated GIF, SVG or modals)||$35/hr.|
|Create a new content type and custom tool(s) to manage it||$50/hr. (estimate for entire project to be included in scope of work)|
|Build specialized tools to manage and display dynamic content (for example, the Explore Majors and Careers tool or the ADRDL tool)—will be referred to external provider||approx. $195/hr.|
|Build a new Drupal website for an SDSU-affiliated organization, to be published outside of sdstate.edu (including templates, style sheets, content types, management tools, etc.)—will be referred to an external provider
Note: Non-SDSU web projects will not be accepted—customers will be referred to external providers.