COVID-19 Vehicle Checkout Procedures
We are asking that you complete the following procedures in order to check out a motor pool vehicle.
- All travel requests must be pre-approved by the Department Head and College Dean or Associate Dean. This approval must be in writing (email will suffice) and provided to office staff prior to vehicle reservation.
- Once the travel request has been approved, Transportation Services staff will proceed with scheduling the vehicle. Please include name of driver, duration/dates of travel, destination, phone number, and index code when submitting vehicle requests
- Please note that only one person (driver) will be allowed in the vehicle at any and all times. If travel requires more than one individual, additional vehicles will need to be obtained for each traveler. Only the driver assigned to a specific vehicle is allowed to drive that vehicle.
- To allow sufficient time to clean and disinfect vehicles prior to departure, we ask that you provide at least 48 hours notice prior to date of departure.
- Keys will be distributed via window access on east side of Motor Pool Complex to ensure proper social distancing and minimal person-to-person contact. Drivers license can be held up and displayed through the window.
- Upon return of the vehicle, keys can continue to be dropped into the yellow drop box located at the Motor Pool Complex.
If use of a Motor Pool vehicle is required due to the University mandate limiting one person per vehicle, this is considered an extra expense incurred due to COVID-19. In this situation, please notify Transportation Services at the time of vehicle reservation so that the expense can be properly coded for tracking purposes.
Motor Pool Hours – The SDSU Motor Pool is once again staffed, though the building is not open to the public. Motor Pool staff will be using an east-facing window to conduct business with customers. Employees needing a state vehicle can reserve one online or call. The online request form can be found on InsideState. The form will be sent to the appropriate Motor Pool personnel where it will be assigned a journey number, vehicle license number and type of vehicle. The information can continue to be viewed in the same location on InsideState.
Questions can be directed to Motor Pool Office at 688-4323 or by email.
Current Motor Pool Vehicle Rates:
SD Fleet & Travel Rate per mile
SDSU Motor Pool surcharge = $0.04/mile
SDSU assigned vehicle surcharge = $0.02/mile
12 passenger van
½ Ton Truck
¾ Ton Truck
1 Ton Truck
Requests must be processed through SD Fleet & Travel. When requesting a permanent assigned vehicle, you will be asked to provide an account number and MSA number. The account number will be the fund that you want billed and the MSA number for SDSU is 1530. Any changes to funding accounts or driver’s assignments can also be made through the SD Fleet & Travel website.
What forms need to be completed before I can drive a state vehicle?
Don't know if you need a form or not? Check this flowchart.