When purchasing any South Dakota State University product, always Find the Hologram
South Dakota State University’s brand is the emotional and psychological relationship we have with our stakeholders. Strong brands elicit thoughts, emotions and sometimes physiological responses from constituents. While the university’s brand extends far beyond its trademarked logos, those logos are a visual representation of the university’s brand.
Year-round, the university works to eliminate unlicensed counterfeit merchandise. By Finding the Hologram, you can help eliminate any proliferation of unlicensed counterfeit merchandise.
Why does only purchasing officially licensed South Dakota State University products matter?
- Any use of word marks, trademarks, logos and/or symbols associated with SDState without permission is a violation of state and federal laws.
- Licensing revenue garnered from officially licensed goods and services benefits SDState. One hundred percent of royalties goes into a student scholarship fund.
- Licensed vendors have met the criteria necessary to have obtained permission to produce products associated with the university.
- Licensed vendors are required to agree to SDState’s Code of Conduct and join the Fair Labor Association (www.fairlabor.org) in an effort to ensure that products are made in acceptable conditions and circumstances by the workers who make them.
- Licensed vendors are required to carry product liability insurance that indemnifies and protects SDState.
- Licensed product will have been reviewed and approved, thus meeting the standards of quality and appropriateness befitting SDState’s reputation and association.
So how do you tell if the product is licensed or not?
- “Find the Hologram” A CLPA label/hologram will appear on the packaging or tag of licensed product ready to be purchased. Each CLPA label is a unique identifier that can be traced to its source. The CLPA labels are only available to officially licensed university vendors from a single source supplier.
- Buy your SDState products from established reputable sources. It is highly unlikely that the product is officially licensed if it comes from a lone street vendor selling out of a bag or a social media posting. Don’t purchase unlicensed merchandise, and if you find it, please contact the Trademarks and Licensing Program. All reports of unlicensed vendors will remain confidential.
- If you are uncertain or have questions, contact the SDSU Trademarks and Licensing Program.
- We ENCOURAGE entrepreneurs interested in learning about how to become licensed to visit our website. Apply to be a Vendor
- Size: Measures 3 7/8” x 1 7/8”
- Required Use? Ideally designed for apparel. Also appropriate for non-apparel items that have an area upon which to attach a hangtag.
- Size: Measures 1 1/2” x 3/4”
- Required Use? Must be used on all non-apparel products and affixed either to the product or packaging. In addition, may be affixed to an existing hangtag used by apparel licensees.
- Size: 1 cm x 1 cm
- Required Use? May be used only on smaller products with written approval from CLPA.