College Level Examination Program
CLEP exams are national tests which students can take to demonstrate college level proficiency for prior learning. The South Dakota Board of Regents has identified courses that may be validated by CLEP exams. When a course is validated by an exam, the student receives an EX on their transcript rather than a letter grade and it does not calculate into the student's cumulative grade point average. Students may take a CLEP exam to replace a failed grade. According to AAC Guidelines:
4.4. Repeat Courses
4.4.1. Credit by validation can be used to repeat a prior course if the student had earned an unsatisfactory grade in the initial attempt.
188.8.131.52. Meeting the qualifying score for the credit by validation examination is used to establish proficiency for the course, and the “EX” grade will still be applied with the earned grade from the initial attempt still calculated in the student’s cumulative grade point average.
SDSU is a designated national testing center for CLEP. An official score report will only be sent to SDSU if South Dakota State University #6653 is chosen as a score recipient.
STEPS TO TAKING A CLEP EXAM at SDSU
1. Review the SD BOR Approved CLEP Exams and choose the exam you want to take.
- CLEP exam College Composition Modular = ENGL 101
- CLEP exam College Composition = ENGL 101 & ENGL 201 (You must take this exam even if you only want to receive credit for ENGL 201)
2. REGISTER WITH THE COLLEGE BOARD:
- Log-in to the CLEP Portal: https://clep.collegeboard.org and create a free account.
** Please note this site belongs to the College Board, not South Dakota State University. If you need assistance while in this site, please contact the College Board.
- Once you are registered for an exam and pay the required $89 registration charge to College Board, an Exam Registration Ticket is created.
- The Exam Registration Ticket is needed to register for your appointment at the Testing Center.
3. SCHEDULING WITH THE TESTING CENTER:
- Appointments for CLEP exams and payments are made on Register Blast - the blue button below.
- To make your appointment you will need a credit or debit card to pay the $20 registration charge and your Exam Registration Ticket number.
- Once you have made your appointment in Register Blast, email your Exam Registration Ticket to email@example.com.
4. Pay for your credits to be added to your transcript.
Scores are shown on the computer screen after the completion of the exam (results for College Composition will take approximately three to four weeks). If the cutoff score is achieved, the student must pay a $8.50 per credit recording charge in order to have the credits placed on their academic transcript. The Testing Center must have an official score report at the Testing Center before the credits will be awarded.
More Information About the CLEP Exam
CLEP exams are 90 minutes in length (Except College Composition which is 120 minutes in length due to the essay portion) and consist of multiple-choice questions. Practice tests are available on the CLEP website. CLEP exams may be taken again if results do not meet required scores, but examinees must wait three months before attempting the same examination.
Calculator: If allowed the used of a calculator, one will appear in the exam.
Photo ID Required for Testing
One form of personal identification and your Exam Registration Ticket are required to be admitted into a CLEP testing room. Your identification must be a government-issued photo ID card that bears your signature.
Acceptable forms of identification:
- Current driver's license
- Current state or federal ID card
- Current passport
- Tribal ID card
- Naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
- Military ID