The Teacher Education Program at South Dakota State University is based on the idea that an effective teacher is one who demonstrates:
- Expertise in a content area
- Knowledge of student learning and development
- Knowledge of diverse student learning needs and preferences
- A variety of Constructivist instructional models, activities, and strategies
- Strategies that create a socially interactive and self-motivating learning environment
- Communication strategies and knowledge of language processes
- Outcome-oriented curriculum and instructional plans
- Formal and informal assessment strategies
- Strategies for principled reflection and professional involvement
- Strategies that foster collaborative relationships with colleagues, parents, and community members.
These goals are a guide to organize students' construction of professional knowledge, abilities, and skills as they proceed through the program.