Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can volunteer? Any student of South Dakota State University. Faculty/staff advisers are welcome to volunteer with organizational groups. All other non-student requests will be treated on a case-by-case basis.
- To sign up, fill out our online form!
- What time is The Big Event? Registration will begin at 9 AM on April 13th, and we hope to have volunteers at the job sites by 10 AM, volunteering will last until 12 PM (2 hours).
- Can I register without a group? Yes! Individuals can register without joining a floor/group and they will be paired with others who registered as an individual. Lots of people register that way.
- Does my group have to be a recognized student organization in order for us to sign up? Not at all! While recognized student organizations commonly sign up together for The Big Event, we certainly encourage groups of friends not belonging to any official organization to sign up to serve together in the community!
- Can I just show up on the day of the event? No, we need for you to sign up to be paired with a job site and receive all of the necessary liability information.
- What kind of jobs will I be doing? We can do anything that doesn’t involve power tools. Volunteers could be doing anything from spring cleaning, racking leaves, washing windows, etc. The volunteers are scheduled to be at their job sites for three hours so whatever can be done in that time.
- Will The Big Event count for my community service? We are happy to sign any forms, but you need to check that this will count.
- Is The Big Event need-based? No, anyone is welcome to sign up as a job site. Homes, agencies, parks, etc.
- Do you help outside of Brookings? No, as of now, we are trying to keep the volunteers in Brookings city limits.
- What kinds of jobs can the volunteers do? We can do anything that doesn’t involve power tools. Volunteers could be doing anything from spring cleaning, racking leaves, washing windows, etc. The volunteers are scheduled to be there for three hours so whatever they can get done in that time.
- I submitted a form and haven’t heard back. We are working through the list of job sites submissions but are a bit behind. If it was over a week ago, please email email@example.com, and they can let you know who will be contacting you.
- If I rent my space, can I still have work done? Yes, but you are liable for talking to the owner.
- What is a project check?
- A member of our team will be responsible for finding a mutual time to meet at the project’s site
- It lets us confirm that the project is feasible and safe to do within three hours
- Makes sure that we have an accurate number of volunteers assigned to the project
- And it allows us to answer any questions that you may have, in person.
- When will my project be checked? You will be contacted by a member of The Big Event team via phone or email to set up a convenient time to meet with you at your project site either during the week or over the weekend. Project checks will begin in late January and run through March.
- What time should I expect the students to show up on April 13? Between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM. It depends on how far away your job is from campus, and if the volunteers need to go to tool distribution.
- Do I need to be home while the volunteers are working? Yes, the resident must be home when the volunteers arrive and for the full time that the project is being completed. If you are not home, we cannot complete the project.
- Should I provide the volunteers with food or drink when they are at my residence? You are more than welcome to provide the volunteers with refreshments or snacks, but you are not required to.
- How long will the volunteers be at my residence? The volunteers can be there until 12 PM.
- What kind of tools can they use? Under no circumstances can we use power tools. This includes but is not limited to: lawn mowers, weed whackers, drills, leaf blowers, and so forth.