All official student organizations and clubs at South Dakota State University are permitted to use the university’s name and wordmarks as well as the jackrabbit logo as approved by Trademarks and Licensing to promote their organization/club through student organization websites, on licensed apparel and merchandise, in advertising, etc. Approval must be obtained by contacting Trademarks and Licensing.
Note: If the jackrabbit logo is to be used as a part of an official logo, there is a specific logo signature that must be used. Student organizations and clubs are not permitted to use the SD or campanile logos.
Process for Ordering Apparel and Merchandise
In order to use the university’s logos, wordmark, name or nicknames on any apparel or merchandise item, the following steps need to be followed:
- Ensure the organization’s logo or design fits within the university’s graphic identity standards.
- Submit artwork to Trademarks and Licensing for approval prior to production.
- Use one of the approved licensed vendors.
- Design Guidelines
- Student organizations are permitted to create unique logos to represent their group. All logos and designs need to follow the university’s graphic identity standards.
- The organization’s full name should appear in the design or on the product. Intramural teams, athletic club teams and student organizations must include the word “intramural,” “club,” “organization,” “society,” etc., to help differentiate the group from SDSU Athletics teams or academic programs or majors.
- All university logos, wordmarks and verbiage require the appropriate trademark registration symbol.
- Logos need to be seen in their entirety and cannot be covered, layered, screened back, distressed or used as background images. A minimum of 3/16 clear space must surround the logo.
- All university logos, wordmarks and verbiage must be used in the proper colors and cannot appear on red or green garments.
- Stylized, cartoon or hand-drawn images of a jackrabbit are not permitted. Use of these images undermines efforts to build a unified South Dakota State brand. The university has a cartoon image of Jack the Jackrabbit that may be used (see separate guidelines for use).
- The Trademark Licensing Program reserves the right to deny any designs that are likely to cause confusion or mistake, to deceive, or to dilute or tarnish University logos, wordmarks, and verbiage.