The Division of Student Affairs at SDSU enriches the students' overall educational experiences through the delivery of quality services and programs as well as by providing intentional learning experiences in diversity, global awareness, leadership, and social responsibility. In partnership with the academic community, the Division seeks to measurably impact success by effectively recruiting, retaining, and graduating students.
Here For You
As we practice physical distancing during COVID-19, those of us in Student Affairs understand the need for social connections and we want to provide the best support and care we can to our Jackrabbit family. Our office is available to assist as needed. We are here for you – give us a call or email.
The Division champions student success by effectively recruiting, retaining, and graduating students through innovative programs, intentional experiences, and exceptional services and facilities to enrich student development and learning in an inclusive community.
The Division aspires to be national leaders in enrollment management and student success.
Our Core Values
We recognize leadership is derived from service to others. We are committed to creating a culture where all thrive and are supported on their own personal and professional paths toward lifelong learning, growth, and leadership.
Creativity is our cornerstone to expand knowledge, develop human understanding, and enrich quality of life. We believe that education and research/ scholarship/ creative activity reinforce one another and the best academic programs bring innovative teaching and rigorous research together.
We act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and accountable decision- making, and respect for others.
We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, inclusive, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration and we respect individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
Excellence is achieved through continuous improvement, assessment, and accountability. We embrace bold action and adapt to an ever-changing environment. Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater.
Goals and Strategies
- Inspiring Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Access
Student Affairs professionals will increase and promote diversity, inclusivity, equity, and access in students, employees and social and educational programming.
- Implement required programming that educates first-year and transfer students regarding the Division's and University's commitment to a climate of respect, civility and free exchange of ideas.
- Embed diversity and inclusion as a cross- curricular skill in all programs offered by the Division of Student Affairs and assess effectiveness of efforts to promote diversity and inclusion.
- Institute a Division-wide Diversity Award Program to recognize, share and promote staff-sponsored and student-sponsored successes in diversity and inclusivity programming.
- Improve access to SDSU by developing and implementing a financial wellness program.
- Include professional competency of diversity, inclusion,equity, and access in all Student Affairs position descriptions to demonstrate the Division's commitment and embed this competency into annual evaluations to hold staff accountable.
- Inspiring Stewardship
Student Affairs professionals will demonstrate innovative stewardship of human, financial, facility and technological resources and form collaborative partnerships to benefit the University.
- Utilize the Campus Labs Engage module to offer a co-curricular transcript to track and understand student involvement, and help develop a database of future potential donors connected to their college experiences.
- Design a centralized onboarding program to foster a shared understanding of University values and traditions and to help new Student Affairs employees prepare, orient, integrate, and excel in their new roles.
- Partner with academic colleges comprising the leadership of SDState Health to create a culture of health and wellness on campus.
- Inspiring Employee Wellness
Student Affairs professionals will establish an environment that fosters employee well-being as a way to create a healthy work environment and a strategy for providing the best service to students and the University.
- Collaborate with campus and community partners to explore development of an affordable, educational and state-licensed on-campus childcare center for students and employees.
- Engage with Human Resources to develop a flexible work arrangement guidebook that aligns with SDSU and Board of Regents policies to educate staff and supervisors on available options and procedures.
- Develop and host a Student Affairs event to celebrate and recognize the successes of Student Affairs professionals.
- Study non-financial compensation, benefits, and other practices to promote employee job satisfaction.
- Inspiring Accountability
Student Affairs professionals will embrace a culture of accountability and service that challenges individuals to act in the best interest of students, student success and the University.
- Implement consistent customer service standards across the Division to ensure any individual interacting with any unit within the Division is treated in a welcoming and positive manner.
- Provide extended hours at selected service centers to better accommodate students' schedules.
- Conduct audit of Division-wide policies and processes to identify and revise/ eliminate those that might create unnecessary barriers to student success.
- Develop and implement with campus partners strategies to address student food insecurity.
- Collaborate with campus partners to develop and launch a parent information portal with content relevant to this important stakeholder group.
- Analyze Student Affairs data to identify at-risk students to engage them earlier in retention efforts. Develop model interventions and assessment platform.
- Inspiring Personal Growth
Student Affairs professionals will provide social and educational programming that nurtures individual development, encourages persistence to graduation, and prepares students for life and career after college.
- Implements a comprehensive and systematic assessment plan to gather data from students who withdraw and who graduate to better inform student success endeavors.
- Develop infrastructure/ mechanism to achieve Carnegie Community Engagement Classification to demonstrate University's comprehensive commitment to community engagement: https://compact.org/initiatives/carnegie-community-engagement-classification/
- Ensure all departments within the Division have a comprehensive assessment plan to measure and report outcomes, establish fiscal priorities, and inform future directions of the department for continuous improvement.
- Inspiring Futures
Student Affairs professionals will engage in innovative recruitment efforts that align with the University's Imagine 2023 goals for diversity and overall enrollment levels.
- Implement a comprehensive recruitment and marketing plan to help increase new student enrollment at SDSU.
- Prioritize and implement the recommendations of the Scholarship task Force to increase competitiveness of the University's scholarship program to help achieve enrollment goals.
- Articulate concise process for transfer students to create a simple pathway for admission and credit evaluation (e.g., a degree from an accredited institution means all credits within this degree will automatically count at SDSU).
- Complete a cost-comparison study of tuition, room and board with selected peer institutions and enrollment competitors and use data to develop recommended rates.