Jack's Cupboard is the free, on-campus food pantry at South Dakota State University. Our goal is to alleviate food insecurity among SDSU students by providing food and personal care items to Jackrabbits who need them.
How it Works
- Any SDSU student experiencing food insecurity can shop the cupboard during open hours (Tuesday 3-5pm). If you are unable to visit during open hours please contact SDSU.firstname.lastname@example.org to request an alternative time.
- When you visit, bring your current student ID and a reusable bag to hold your items. If you don't have a bag, you can request one at the front desk.
- You then shop from the shelves. Please only take what you would use for the week and follow any posted signs.
- After shopping, checkout at the front desk. You will be asked to scan your student ID and a volunteer at the desk will weigh your items.
- Once you have checked out, you're good to go! Students can come weekly to the cupboard, so feel free to come again.
Recommended donation items are listed below:
- Blocks of cheese, cream cheese, butter
- Frozen products such as pizzas, frozen dinners, and meat options
- Canned soup or bagged soup mixes
- Pasta and pasta sauces
- Bread, rice, and other grains
- Evaporated, powdered, and boxed milk
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Dried fruits
- Cereal and oatmeal
- Canned chicken and canned tuna
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Pre-packaged snack items
- Cake, brownie, and pancake mixes
- Baking items (baking soda, baking powder, salt, etc.)
- Personal care items (toothbrushes, toothpaste, tampons, pads, shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc.)
Please note: donated food must be pre-packaged items that are shelf-stable or can be frozen.
Donations are accepted at Jack's Cupboard during hours of operation, the Housing & Residential Life Office weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the University Student Union during hours of operation, or at the University Police Station (24/7).
If you have a large donation, please contact SDSU.email@example.com to set up a drop-off time.
Student organizations and community members can organize donation drives to benefit Jack's Cupboard. If you plan to organize one please contact SDSU.firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know. We will answer any questions you may have and coordinate a drop-off time for donations once your drive is complete.
If you would like to make a monetary donation to Jack's Cupboard you can do so online through the South Dakota State University Foundation.
Volunteer at Jack's Cupboard
Students can volunteer at Jack's Cupboard by signing up at the link below:
Volunteer responsibilities include assisting shoppers with check-out, distributing freezer items and items in the glass cabinet to shoppers, and completing opening and closing tasks.
Hours of Operation
Jack's Cupboard is open during the summer semester on Tuesdays from 3-5pm.
Hours are subject to change due to weather, holiday breaks, and at the beginning of a new semester. Check back here for updates on hours of operation.
Jack's Cupboard is located on the Southeast side of Ben Reifel Hall.