Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When can I move in?
A: Move-in weekend for the fall semester is held the weekend prior to the first day of classes. More information about move-in weekend is mailed out in the summer along with students' residence hall assignments. For spring move-in information, please contact Residential Life at 605-688-5148.

Q: What is furnished in my room?
A: All rooms are furnished with lofts, mattresses, desks, chairs and dressers for each roommate along with a mirror and wastebasket. Internet ports are also provided for free.

Q: How do students access their residence halls?
A: Every hall on campus, with the exception of Caldwell Hall, which houses the Residential Life main office, is locked 24 hours a day. Students will access their individual halls with a key or student ID. Caldwell Hall is locked at 5:00 p.m. every day.

Q: Are there accommodations for students with disabilities or other medical needs?
A: Absolutely. Students who need any special accommodations are encouraged to contact Residential Life directly at 605-688-5148. Our Disability Services Coordinator is also a great contact and can be reached at 605-688-4504.

Q: Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
A: Just fish. Students are allowed to have up to one 20-gallon aquarium or two 10-gallon aquariums per room.

Q: Is cable TV available?
A: Basic cable is activated for free for the first week students live on campus. After that students may to purchase cable service through our local service provider, Mediacom. This can be done by calling 1-800-332-0245.

Q: Is telephone service provided?
A: No; however, phone jacks are provided in each room. Students who desire to have a land line must bring a telephone and arrange for service with Swiftel Communications at 605-692-6211.

Q: What size futon or couch will fit under my bed?
A: Futons that are 78" or less fit under the lofts. Please remember that hide-a-bed couches are not permitted in the residence halls.

Q: Is smoking allowed in the residence halls?
A: No. Smoking is not permitted in the residence halls or within 25 feet of doorways and windows.

Q: Is alcohol allowed in the residence halls?
A: No. SDSU is a dry campus, which means that alcoholic beverages and empty containers are not allowed anywhere on campus.

Q: Are hunting weapons allowed in the residence halls?
A: No. Weapons of any kind, including shotguns, rifles, pistols, paintball guns, martial arts weapons and knives with blades longer than four inches are not allowed in the halls. DuPuy Military Hall offers gun storage at no charge to students.