Bum-A-Meal - October 9
Host Home Registration
Bum-A-Meal is one of the most unique and popular student events each year at SDSU. The event's roots trace back to when students from South Dakota Agricultural College used to wander through Brookings to greet the opposing football team on the night before the homecoming game. On their way back to campus, students would stop at homes throughout the community to "bum a meal" from Brookings residents.
Today, Bum-A-Meal continues that proud tradition of partnership with the Brookings community. Groups of SDSU students sign up to "bum a meal" from a generous host home in Brookings, then wander out into the town to enjoy this truly unique Hobo Week experience.
Interested in becoming a host for Bum-A-Meal? This great event is only possible because of the generous support of dozens of host homes. Click below to become a host home, or get in touch with us with any questions. Once you've signed up, we'll be in touch soon with more information about how many students to expect and details about your role in this great event.
Thank you for your support of Bum-A-Meal and Hobo Day!
Be part of one of the earliest and most beloved Hobo Week traditions while enjoying a free meal with old friends and new! Bum-A-Meal gives students the opportunity to connect with community members, faculty, and alumni. Many of them have their own Hobo Day memories they're excited to share with the next generation of dirty bums looking for a hot meal. (Did we mention it's free?)
- WHEN: Student Check-in begins at 5 p.m. on Monday, October 9
- Students will leave campus for host home locations at 6 p.m.
- WHERE: Check-in will be held in the University Student Union, then groups will proceed to Host Homes in the Brookings community!
Important notes for participating students:
- Proper hobo attire is expected of participating students.
- Students receive their host home address at check-in. All groups are dismissed by the Grand Pooba - do not leave for your host home prior to dismissal.
- The Hobo Day Committee will attempt to keep groups together as requested, but assignments will be made based on the number of seats available at each host home. Please understand that groups may be split up.
- Bum-A-Meal participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from host homes.
- Groups that fail to report to check-in and/or their assigned host home may be refused registration the following year at the discretion of the Grand Pooba. We love our host homes; if you're not certain you can attend, please don't register!
Please contact us with any questions about Bum-A-Meal.