Important Registration Deadlines
- October 31: Last day to register your school/home school association/family under the normal fee amounts.
- November 1: First day registration fees increase by $10/school or $5/home school or family.
- February 18 at 5 PM CT: Regional registration deadline and paper/website lockout.
- March 21 at 5 PM CT: State registration deadline and paper/website lockout (see NEW IN 2022 note below).
- TBD: National registration deadline and paper/website lockout.
Looking to participate in the NHD in SD program? Want to know how to register for a contest? Find all the information you need from the drop-down menu on the right side of your screen!
NEW IN 2022: All students (regardless of project type) participating in the state contest will be required to submit their process paper and bibliography by the registration and lockout deadline on March 21 at 5:00 PM CT. This new rule was planned to be in place for the 2021 contest season, but with COVID-19 changes to the contest, we pushed it to 2022. We had a lot of great feedback from judges in the last two years who enjoyed being able to have more time to read process papers and explore sources, so we have cleared it with the national office to make this rule in 2022. Process papers will be turned in through the registration system by uploading a PDF version similar to what the paper category does. Stay tuned for more information on the submission process in the spring of 2022!