Congratulations to all our 2021 NHD in South Dakota State contest participants!
Thank you to the following individuals and organizations for sponsoring awards at the 2021 NHD in South Dakota State Contest:
- Junior and Senior Best Research Paper: Friends of South Dakota National History Day, Mrs. Kathie Tuntland
- Junior Innovation in Science: In Memory of Mary L. Mascola
- Junior Legal History: Brookings Noon Lions Club
- Senior Legal History: Friends of the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum
- Junior and Senior Military History: Col. Ruth & Lt. Col. Reid Christopherson
- Oral or British History: USD Department of History in Memory of Dr. Stephen Ward
- Junior Rural Life & Agricultural History: SDSU College of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences
- Senior Rural Life & Agricultural History: Friends of the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum
- Junior South Dakota History (State or Local Emphasis): General Federation of Women's Clubs Brookings Chapter, Friends of South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum
- Senior South Dakota History (State or Local Emphasis): South Dakota State Historical Society
- Junior Women's History: General Federation of Women's Clubs of South Dakota
- Senior Women's History: General Federation of Women's Clubs Brookings Chapter
2021 Loren Lutz Teacher of the Year Award
This award is given each year to a teacher who dedicates their teaching career to utilizing and working with the NHD program. We would like to recognize Andrew Stewart from Jones County School District as our 2021 Loren Lutz Teacher of the Year! Andrew’s nomination form says it best: "For Andrew, history education not just a job – it’s a passion. Andrew was a student who participated in the NHD program and has carried his pride and passion for NHD throughout his college career and into his professional career as well. He also utilizes NHD and project based learning in his classroom and not just with his NHD contest participants. This award is extra special for Andrew as he had the opportunity to work with Mr. Lutz and have him as a role model during his first few years of teaching." Congratulations, and thank you for what you do for NHD in SD!
Project Category Award Winners
First and second place winners in each category will advance to the virtual national contest this summer, while third place winners will serve as alternates.
Special Award Winners