It’s a lot of fun to go outside to explore and discover new things on a warm, sunny day – but sometimes, out weather doesn’t cooperate. If you are looking for a fun way to find and discover things on the farm while you are stuck inside, you can create a Farm Discovery Game! Use the supplies you have around the house to make this as fun and challenging as you wish and enjoy watching the kids (and adults) in your life discover the treasures you have hidden.
Find a helpful how-to video below:
- Clear Plastic Bottle or Container (I’m using a clear ornament, but anything works as long as you have a lid!)
- Funnel (optional)
- Filler Material (I used perler beads, but you could also use rice, corn kernels, dried beans, etc.)
- 8-10 Small Items to Discover (I’m using things like slime charms and beads, but anything around the size of a nickel or smaller works)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Paper (optional)
- Writing Utensil (optional)
- Open your plastic container. Using the funnel (optional), dump your filler material into the container. It should be about 2/3 full.
- Insert your items to discover in your bottle. If you want to have a key for the items you’ve included that people can search for, use your writing utensil and paper to make a list of what you include.
- Once you have your filler material and items to discover in your plastic container, use your glue to glue your lid on your bottle. This will help you avoid spills from people trying to open your container! Follow the dry time instructions.
- If you created a list of items in step 2, use your ribbon to tie the list to your container.
- Enjoy your time discovering hidden treasurers in your Farm Discovery Bottle!
Make-It Monday projects will be posted each Monday (except for holidays) throughout the museum closure for COVID-19. For a full list of previous projects, visit our Make-It Monday website.
Questions? Contact Sarah, the museum's education coordinator.