Thank you for your interest in Piano Day. The Department of Music and Dr. Stevens look forward to next year's event in October 2021. The information for 2020's event, including a complete list of repertoire discussed during the workshop, is below.
South Dakota State University's Piano Day 2020 is moving online this year. The day's events will be hosted by Dr. Mark Stevens, Director of Keyboard Studies for SDSU's Oscar Larson School of Performing Arts. Join Dr. Stevens for an fun and informative day of educational events and live performances.
11 a.m.: Workshop - The Magic of Modern Music
Noon: High School Masterclass
1:30 p.m.: SDSU Showcase Recital
This event is designed for middle school and high school pianists, parents, and piano teachers. All events live-streamed free of charge to registered participants.
Questions? Email Dr. Stevens.
Workshop Repertoire List
- Leonard Bernstein: Various Anniversaries for Piano (For Aaron Copland, For Johnny Mehegan, For Stephen Sondheim)
- Aaron Copland: In Evening Air
- Dianne Goolkasian Rahbee: Piano Sonata No. 1
- William Schuman: Three Score Set
- Carl Vine: Red Blues
- Vincent Persichetti: Poems for Piano (Dust in Sunlight, Memory in Corners from Book II) and Toccatina No. 1
- Roy Harris: American Ballads (Streets of Laredo)
- Norman Dello Joio: Suite for Piano
- Emma Lou Diemer: Toccata
- Additional repertoire to consider:
- Kenji Bunch: SummerSkies and Five Landmarks
- Ernest Bloch: Enfantines and Poems of the Sea
- Aaron Copland: Midsummer Nocturne
- Roy Harris: Little Suite
- Robert Starer: Sketches in Color
- Emma Lou Diemer: Travels Through Sound
- Lera Auerbach: Images from Childhood