April 17-18, 2020
High school students from South Dakota are invited to participate in the first SDSU Honor Jazz Band Workshop, to be held at the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center at South Dakota State University on April 17-18, 2020. The Honor Jazz Band Workshop’s mission is to provide a training environment for students wanting to learn improvisation skills, jazz ensemble playing and/or prepare for the South Dakota All-State Jazz Band.
- Workshops with SDSU School of Performing Arts faculty
- Expert strategies and tips in jazz ensemble playing
- Rehearsals and concert in the newly expanded performing arts facility
Open to the following instrumentation:
- Alto, Tenor and Baritone Saxophone
- Auxiliary Percussion
Director Nominations due by: January 15, 2020
There is no application fee. Students selected will be charged a $25 participation fee.
Students can apply with director nomination.
Nominations are done electronically using THIS LINK.
Audition Recordings due by: March 2, 2020
Audition recordings are submitted via dropbox. A link will be provided to nominated students.
Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone and Vibes
- Any two major scales played with swung eighth notes
- A 30-second excerpt of a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart
Piano and Guitar
- A 45-second excerpt of a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart with comping Bass
- A 30-second excerpt of walking bass line over a jazz standard or melody from a big band chart
- Demonstration of swing, Latin and funk feels (10-20 seconds each)
*Optional Requirement: Students who wish to be considered for a solo chair are to record themselves improvising for 1-2 choruses over a jazz standard with a backing track.