February 13, 2020
Application due by Monday, December 23
We invite high school choral directors from throughout South Dakota and Minnesota to apply to participate in the Festival of Women’s Voices, to be held on February 13, 2020. Once you’ve registered, the SDSU Choral Department will provide you with a pdf of "One Voice" and "Laudate Pueri". The three other pieces can be purchased for $6.50 total. Popplers Music in Sioux Falls will have the music. The nominal registration fee is $5.00 per singer. You may submit your payment to Ms. Karen Barthel, School of Performing Arts, PAC Box 2830, Brookings, SD 57007.
Instrument of Peace – Kelly-Marie Murphy
Away from the Roll of the Sea – Allister MacGillivray Arranged by Diane Loomer
Psalm 23 – Srul Irving Glick
Combined with the SDSU Women’s Choir Choralia:
One Voice – Ruth Moody
Laudate Pueri –Felix Mendelssohn
8:00 - Registration in Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center
8:30 -12:00 – Rehearsal
12:00 - Lunch Break on your own
1:00-2:30 - Combined Rehearsal with Choralia
2:45-4:30 - High School Rehearsal
4:30-5:45 - Dinner on your own
6:00-7:00 - Dress Rehearsal in Hall
7:30 - Concert in the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center
Highlights for the 2020 Festival will include:
- The opportunity to rehearse and perform in SDSU’s newly expanded Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center;
- Workshops and masterclasses with the faculty of the School of Performing Arts;
- Scholarship audition opportunities for high school seniors;
- A side-by-side performance with members of the SDSU Women’s Choir Choralia; and
- The chance to make music with the most talented student musicians from a multi-state radius.
Morna Edmundson, from Vancouver, British Columbia, Artistic Director of the internationally recognized Women’s Choir ELEKTRA, is one of Canada’s best-known choral conductors with a strong reputation for excellence. She has passionately obtained degrees and diplomas in vocal music in Vancouver, Bellingham, and Stockholm, Sweden.