The purpose of the All-State Strings Festival is to offer high school students the opportunity to perfect audition materials toward All-State Orchestra tryouts (scheduled for early October at centers in Huron, Rapid City and Tea). The Festival will take place on September 7, 2019, in the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center on the SDSU campus. The Festival will consist of:
- Drills of the three-octave scales: b melodic minor, A-flat Major and F Major;
- Practice and read-through performances of orchestra music: Rimsky-Korsakov and Borodin; and
- Section rehearsals of J.S. Bach and Mazas, Schroeder, Eccles.
Registration Fee: $20 by August 29; $25 if registered after the 29th. Fee covers festival, logo T-shirt, and pizza.
19th Annual All-State Preparatory Strings Festival
Saturday, September 7, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center - #45 on the campus map
8:00 Arrival and pick up T-shirt, Registration
8:30 3-octave drills: b melodic minor, A-flat Major, and F Major
- Dance of the Tumblers from the Snow Maiden – Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- Symphony No. 2 in b minor (all movements) – Alexander Borodin
- "Five Mystical Songs - Antiphon" -- Ralph Vaughan Williams (free download available from the website)
10:15 Orchestra repertoire continued
11:45 Lunch break – Pizza provided
12:30 Etude and Bach sessions
1:30 Orchestra repertoire Performance Run-throughs
2:30 Festival ends