This is a GPIDEA online degree that is coordinated though Continuing & Distance Education.
This degree provides an understanding of merchandising at every level, with emphasis on current trends in the United States and the global marketplace, factors that will distinguish graduates among their peers. Retailing is a major impact on the U.S. economy; representing 1/3 of the total U.S. economy or $4 trillion. Graduates of the program are prepared to work in product development, promotions and retail management in this ever-expanding industry.
The Master’s in Merchandising is a 36-credit-hour program. Choose a capstone from one of these options:
- The practicum option involves a work experience in line with your degree and includes training, mentoring and networking opportunities.
- The research project option requires independent study on a topic of your choice and a final design paper; you will benefit from regular contact with a faculty adviser who will offer guidance in and critique of your work.
- The thesis option concludes with an overarching research project and requires a presentation to your thesis committee. Students pursuing the thesis option must be prepared to come to campus a minimum of three times throughout the process.
- Students may also choose to pursue a course-only option by taking 36 credits of courses. All classes need to be approved by an adviser.
Coursework emphasizes current trends in the United States and the global marketplace. These factors will distinguish you from peers and prepare you for the creative energy of the industry. With retailing currently generating $4 trillion of the U.S. economy, merchandising offers ample opportunities for professional growth.
- Department Manager
- Assistant of Head Buyer
- Product Marketing Director
- Product Development
- Visual Merchandising
- Marketing Specialist
- Brand Development
"The courses that are required within the Master's of Merchandising program are 100% relevant to my job within the fashion industry. Also, since I work within the footwear sector of the industry, I am able to focus my studies on footwear specifically and further my knowledge of the current trends within this area."
DANIELLE GERMAIN, Online Student
Master's in Human Sciences - Merchandising