2022 Annual SDSU Juried Art and Design Competition and Exhibition
Entries accepted April 4–6, 2022 Deadline for entries is Thursday, April 6, 2022, at 5 p.m.
The Juried Student Exhibition runs April 28–August 26, 2022. Sponsored by the School of Design, the Ritz Gallery and Friends of the Arts. Open to all students currently enrolled at South Dakota State University. Cash prizes will be awarded in graphic design and studio art.
Announcements of award winners and exhibition opening: 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27, 2022, in the Ritz Gallery.
Please plan to attend if your work is accepted into the exhibit.
- Andrew Casto, visual artist/ceramicist/educator, The University of Iowa
- Tim Murray, designer for MJM Design Studio, Sioux Falls, SD
Andrew Casto Van Zante Visiting Artist Talk
6:30 p.m., Thursday, April 22, South Dakota Art Museum auditorium (lower level) South Dakota State University.
Free and open to the public.
- Juror’s Choice Award - $200
- Director’s Choice Award - $200
- First Place Graphic Design - $150
- First Place Studio Art - $150
- Second Place Graphic Design - $100
- Second Place Studio Art - $100
- Third Place Graphic Design - $75
- Third Place Studio Art - $75
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design - $50
- Honorable Mention Studio Art - $50
- Innovative Use of Materials Award - $100
- Innovative Typography Award - $100
- CAHSS Dean’s Award - $200
❋ NEW ❋ Award for 2022!
- President Dunn's Award - $200
- By entering a work, the entrant agrees that the work may be exhibited for the run of the show and that the work meets all the following guidelines. Work may not be removed from the exhibit early.
- A maximum of three works per entrant may be submitted.
- Entries will be accepted in the Ritz Gallery April 4–6, 2022. Deadline for entries is Wednesday, April 6, 2022, 5 p.m. This includes delivery of the work in an exhibition-ready condition. See #5 and #6 below. Entries will not be accepted before April 4.
- If you are a graduating senior or not planning to return to SDSU as a student in the Fall Semester of 2022, you need to make arrangements to have any accepted work picked up after the closing date of the exhibition. Works that are not picked up after the close of the exhibition may not be saved by the School.
- All two-dimensional work must be exhibition ready. Works on paper larger than 18" x 24" may be hung with small clips or magnets. You must include clear and detailed instructions on how to hang your work. Exhibition-ready: Weigh less than 50 pounds, well matted, framed and ready to hang, or it will be automatically rejected. NO glued-mounts, sticky-backed mounts, tape-mounts or saw tooth hangers. Frames should be appropriate for the work submitted. Framed work must be wired and ready to hang. Work that is not presented in an appropriate manner will not be considered for jurying or students may be asked to reframe work to fit with gallery standards. All frames should be assembled with Plexiglas — NO glass. Work must fit the south door of the gallery and not exceed 12 feet in length. For a three-dimensional work that exceeds 100 pounds, its weight must be identified, and the work must be easily moved. Please consult your faculty mentors.
- All works must be made of materials that are not hazardous to gallery visitors or that can harm the healthy environment of the gallery (i.e., no works that contain organic substances, such as food or soil, are acceptable).
- Submit entries in the Grove Hall Ritz Gallery from April 4-6. Entry forms will be in the Ritz Gallery during this time and must be filled out for each work when submitted. Place the completed entry forms in the appropriate folder in the gallery. Please be sure to attach the correct part of these entry forms to each piece entered. The Ritz Gallery will be open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on submission days. Deadline for entries is Wednesday, April 6, 5 p.m.
- Entries not selected for exhibition must be picked up on April 11–12, 2022, in the Ritz Gallery. The Ritz Gallery will be open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on pick-up days.
- All exhibited work from the show must be picked up August 29–31, 2022. The school will not be responsible for art works after that time. The Ritz Gallery will be open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on pick-up days.
- Graphic Design
- Digital Drawings and Illustrations
- Animation or Moving Images (submit thumb drive)
- Online Content (websites, video hosted elsewhere)
- Mixed Media
- Photography (both fine art, fashion design and journalism)
- Drawing (fine art, interior, fashion or landscape design)
- Film Video (submit thumb drive)
- Painting (cannot exceed 15 feet in length and 10 feet in height)