2018 Annual SDSU Juried Art & Design Competition & Exhibition
Sponsored by the School of Design, the Ritz Gallery, and Friends of the Arts.
Open to ALL students currently enrolled at South Dakota State University.
Cash prizes will be awarded in graphic design and studio art. ENTRIES ACCEPTED APRIL 9-11, 2018
Juror's Choice Award - $200
Director's Choice Award - $200
First Place Typographic Excellence Scholarship - $500
Second Place Typographic Excellence Scholarship - $300
Third Place Typographic Excellence Scholarship - $200
First Place Graphic Design - $150
First Place Studio Art - $150
Second Place Graphic Design - $100
Second Place Studio Art - $100
Third Place Graphic Design - $75
Third Place Studio Art - $75
Honorable Mention Graphic Design - $50
Honorable Mention Studio Art - $50
Guidelines (read carefully):
- By entering a work, the entrant agrees that the work may be exhibited for the run of the show and that the work meets all of the following guidelines.
- A maximum of three works per entrant may be submitted.
- Deadline for entries is April 11, 2018, 5:00 PM. This includes delivery of the work in an exhibition-ready condition. See #5 and #6 below. No entries accepted before April 9.
- If the jurors accept your work(s) and you are a graduating senior or not planning to return to SDSU as a student in the Fall Semester of 2018, you will need to make arrangements with someone to pick up your work after the closing date of the exhibition. Art works which are not picked up after the close of the exhibition may not be saved by the School.
- All two-dimensional work must be exhibition-ready: Weigh less than 50 pounds, well matted, framed, and ready to hang, or it will be automatically rejected; this means NO glued-mounts, sticky-backed mounts, or tape-mounts are acceptable; plastic Walmart/Kmart frames will not be accepted. Frames should not include glass. Work must fit the south door of the gallery and not exceed 12 feet in length. For a three-dimensional work that exceeds 100 pounds, its weight must be identified, and the work must be easily moved. If in doubt, consult the curator of the gallery (Nancy Hartenhoff-Crooks).
- All works must be made of materials that are not hazardous to gallery visitors or that can harm the healthy environment of the gallery (i.e., no works that contain organic substances, such as food or soil, are acceptable).
- Submit entries to the School of Design in Grove Hall on April 9-11, 2018. Entry forms will be located in the Ritz Gallery at that time, Grove Hall 111, and must be filled out for each work when submitted. Please be sure to attach the correct part of these entry forms to each piece entered.
- Entries not selected for exhibition must be picked up on April 16-17 in the Ritz Gallery.
- At the end of the exhibition, selected entries must be picked up between September 4 – 7, 2018. The School will not be responsible for art works after that time.
- Graphic Design
- Computer Imaging
- Animation or Moving Images
- Online Content (websites, video hosted elsewhere)
- Mixed Media
- Photography (both fine art, fashion design, and journalism)
- Drawing (fine art, interior, fashion, or landscape design)
- Film Video (CD or DVD only)
- Painting (cannot exceed 15 feet in length and 10 feet in height)