Faculty Research & Creative Activity
- Anderson, J. "#MyCommunityMyStory: Wokini Scholars and college hopefuls from Oglala Sioux Nation tell their stories through photovoice." Wokini Challenge Grant, SDSU, $6,880.
- Anderson, J. Expanding the Circle stipend for developing online courses for faculty at SD Tribal Colleges and Universities, SDSU. $1,000.
- Domonoske, D., Hendricks, M.A. & Lucchesi, R "Investigation of educators' needs on e-cigarette curriculum." South Dakota Department of Health Tobacco Control Program. $10,000.
- Hunter, K. "Harnessing hope: Decolonizing research on Native American students' college persistence." Waterhouse Family Institute. $9,960.
- Kuehl, R.A., & Knippling, O. [undergraduate student] "Finding rhetorical common ground: Analyzing Thomas A. Daschle's leadership speeches as a model for bi-partisanship." Thomas A. Daschle Career Papers Collection Research Fellowship, $7,500.
- Anderson, J. Expanding the Circle stipend for developing online courses for faculty at SD Tribal Colleges and Universities, SDSU. $1,000.
- Dailey, R. Portz Grant. National Collegiate Honors Council. $1,017.
- Hendrick, M. Scholastic Journalism Research Grant. Journalism Education Association/National Scholastic Press Association. $2,000.
- Hunter, K. Expanding the Circle stipend for developing online courses for faculty at SD Tribal Colleges and Universities, SDSU. $1,000.
- Broeckelman-Post, M. (PI), Anderson, L.B., Wolvin, A.D., Hosek, A.M., Simonds, C., Hunter, K., Ruiz-Mesa, K., & Brazeal, L. "A National-Level Assessment of Core Competencies in the Basic Communication Course." NCA Advancing the Discipline grant, $5,000.
- Britt, B.C. (PI), Anderson, J. (Co-I), & Britt, R.K. (Co-I). "Sharing Hope and Healing: Evaluating and promoting living kidney donation via social media campaign." Additional aim funded by the SDSU Nursing Department, $100,000; via a grant from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIHMD) to the Collaborative Research Center for American Indian Health (CRCAIH). Award #050113252, $3,000,000.
- Kuehl, R.A., (PI) & Anderson, J. (Co-I). "Women in human trafficking public education event." Funded by the Women and Giving Program at the SDSU Foundation, $1,500.
- Anderson, J. (Co-PI), Kuehl, R. (Co-PI), Tschetter, L., Schwaegerl, M., Yoder, J., Gullickson, H., Hildreth, M., Bachman, C., Drury, S. "Baby-Friendly Brookings: Promoting Civic Discourse to Support Breastfeeding." Funded by the Bush Foundation, $73,721.
- Dailey, R. (2015). South Dakota Humanities Council Media Grant. Beyond the 38 documentary project. $7,000.
- Hunter, K. (PI). "Careers in Communication Speaker Series." Funded by the SDSU Student Association/University Program Council/Speakers Bureau, $5,200.
- Hunter, K. (PI). "Communication Connections Conference." Funded by the South Dakota Humanities Council, $1,000.
Recent Research & Creativity Activity Awards
- Alvey, A.[graduate student],Chromey, K., and Westwick, J., Melissa Beall Top Panel Award in the Basic Course Interest Group (CSCA).
- Roscoe, R.[graduate student]. SDSU Distinguished Master's Thesis Award, sponsored by the Graduate School. Advisor: Jenn Anderson.
- Anderson, J., Outstanding Scholar, College of Arts & Sciences, South Dakota State University.
- Dailey, R. Award of Merit for Documentary Short, Impact DOCs Awards.
- Hendricks, M. Top Faculty Paper, Scholastic Journalism Division, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Peterson, J.[graduate student]. Outstanding Master's Thesis Award from the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language, and Gender. Advisor: Rebecca Kuehl.
- Anderson, J., Outstanding Faculty Publication, Michigan State University Libraries.
- Anderson, J. & Malterud, A.[graduate student], Scholars of the Year, National State Advisory Council (of the National Communication Association).
- Anderson, J. & Malterud, A.[graduate student]. Top Paper, Health Communication Interest Group, Central States Communication Association.
- Chromey, K., Top Presentation in the Training and Development Division of the National Communication Association.
- Chromey, K., Honorable Top Paper Award in the Training and Development Division of the National Communication Association.
- Hunter, K., Westwick, J., Chromey, K., & Laurie Haleta. Douglas M. Trank Award for Top Paper in the Basic Course Interest Group (CSCA).
- Vos, T.P., Hendricks, M.A., & Wolfgang, J.D. Top Faculty Paper in the Scholastic Journalism Division (AEJMC).
- Westwick, J. & Hunter, K. Top Three Paper in the Basic Course Division, National Communication Association Annual Conference (NCA)
- Anderson, J. Sherwood & Elizabeth Berg Outstanding Young Scholar Award, for outstanding research accomplishments by early career faculty, SDSU, $3,000.
- Chromey, K. & Westwick, J. Melissa Beall Top Panel Award in the Basic Course Interest Group (CSCA).
- Dailey, R. Top Paper/Special Call Sports Media Ethics. Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (AEJMC)
- Haleta, L., Hunter, K., & Westwick, J. Top Panel in the State's Advisory Interest Group (CSCA).
- Hunter, K. (editor). Outstanding State Journal of the Year for Discourse: Journal of the SCASD, National States Advisory Council, (NCA).
- Hunter, K., Westwick, J., & Haleta, L. Manuscript of the Year presented by the Communication Apprehension and Competency Division (NCA).
- Hunter, K., Westwick, J., & Haleta, L. Top Three Paper in the Basic Course Interest Group (CSCA).
- Westwick, J., Hunter, K., & Haleta, L. Top Paper Award in the Communication Apprehension and Competency Division (NCA).
Recent Creative Works
- Bielfeldt, D., Ragsdale, A., Dailey, R., & Hardin, C. (2015).An Evening with Harvey Dunn's Feminine Images. [Performance]. Chor. Melissa Hauschild-Mork. South Dakota State University Performing Arts Center, Brookings, 11-15 Nov. 2015.
- Dailey,R. (Videographer, Producer, & Editor). (2017). The dance between disciplines: The Harvey Dunn feminine images project. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsUECwAURww.
- Dailey, R. (Producer).(2017). Beyond the 28: The Life of Dr. Elden Lawrence. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/201739561.
- Dailey, R. (Videographer, Producer, & Editor), Haag, L. (Videographer), & Andersen, B. (Videographer). (2015, November). Prairie Dance [Video file]. Presented during An Evening with Harvey Dunn's Feminine Images performance, Brookings, SD. Retrieved from https://sdsu.box.com/s/pjjml29ixjtxh8zechuo2ylesvo87cs5.
- Dailey, R. (Producer & Editor). (2015, November). Idle Conversations [Video file]. Presented during An Evening with Harvey Dunn's Feminine Images performance, Brookings, SD. Retrieved from https://sdsu.box.com/s/w7v61j6e2y6omg7dm2yhbu25q66w77pv.
- Dailey, R. (Producer & Editor). (2015, November). Prelude [Video file]. Presented during An Evening with Harvey Dunn's Feminine Images performance, Brookings, SD. Retrieved from https://sdsu.box.com/s/7447mg5agzd9khejqsmc8aght5k219c2.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Hunter, K.M., Westwick, J.N., & Chromey, K.J. (accepted). Best practice for fostering student-development in online courses with dually-enrolled students. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching.
- Kuehl, R.A., Anderson, J., Drury, S.A.M., Holman, A., Hunt, C., & Leighter, J.L. Creating multidisciplinary dialogue about community-based participatory research partnerships of health and medicine. Rhetoric of Health and Medicine.
- Kuehl, R.A., Drury, S.A.M., & Anderson, J. Rhetoric as rhetorical health citizenship: Rhetorical agency, public deliberation, and health citizenship as rhetorical forms. In L. Meloncon, S. Graham, J. Johnson, J. Lynch, & C. Ryan (Eds.), The rhetoric of health and medicine as/is: Theories and concepts for an emerging field. Ohio State University Press.
- Thomas, R.J. & Hendricks, M.A. Making class matter: Journalism and social class. In E. L. Perry & M. Len-Rios (Eds.), Cross-cultural journalism: Communicating strategically about diversity (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Roscoe, R.A. [graduate student], & Anderson, J. (in press). Civilian and veteran perceptions of communicated stigma about veterans with PTSD. Discourse: Journal of the SCASD, 5.
- Anderson, J., Britt, B., Britt, B., Harming, S., & Farhenwald, N. Native Americans' memorable conversations about living kidney donation and transplant. Qualitative Health Research. [online first publication] doi:10.1177/1049732319882672
- Hunter, K.M., & Westwick, J.M. "I see your True Colors" Mitigating grouphate by exploring personality differences. Communication Teacher. [online first publication] doi:10.1080/17404622.2019.1593476
- Ruiz-Mesa, K. & Hunter, K.M. Best practices for leading difficult discussions in the basic communication course classroom. Journal of Communication Pedagogy, 2, 131-141. https://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1048&context=jcp
- Westwick, J.N., Hunter, K.M., & Kleinjan, B.A. (2019). Anxiety and communication competence in the honors basic public speaking course: An intervention and formative assessment. Basic Communication Course Annual, 31(9), 123-143. https://ecommons.udayton.edu/bcca/vol31/iss1/9/
- Anderson, J., Dirks, L. [undergrad student], Graesser, N. [undergrad student], Block, P. [undergrad student]. Family size decreases conversation orientation and increases conformity orientation. Discourse: Journal of the SCASD, 4, 7-24. Retrieved from https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/discoursejournal/vol4/iss1/2/
- Bresnahan, M., Zhuang, J., Anderson, J., Zhu, Y., Nelson, J., & Yan, X. The "Pumpgate" incident: Stigma against lactating mothers in the U.S. workplace. Women's Health, 58(4), 451-465. doi:10.1080/03630242.2017.1306608
- Chromey, K.J., Currie-Mueller, J.L., & Hanson, J.L. "Who has an #awesomeboss? I do!" Positive portrayals of bosses in 140 characters or less. Texas Communication Journal, 42, 12-25.
- Condon, V. [graduate student], & Westwick, J.N. Knowing Jack: Comprehending Stylistic Choices. In J.S. Seiter, J. Peeples, & M.L. Sanders (Eds.) Communication in the classroom: A collection of G.I.F.T.S., (pp. 92-96.) Boston, Ma: Bedford, St. Martins.
- Dailey, R., & Wenger, D. Are we preaching what is practiced? Journalism education and the core curriculum. Journal of Media Education, 9(4), 13-24. Retrieved from https://en.calameo.com/read/0000917890ff24424c30e
- Drury, S.A.M., & Kuehl, R.A. (invited). Introduction to the special issue on the rhetoric of the 2016 U.S. election. Communication Quarterly, 66(2), 111-116. doi:10.1080/01463373.2018.1441161
- Hauschild-Mork, M., & Rocky, R. Project design: Building foundations for transformative learning. Journal of Dance Education, 18(2), 74-86, doi:10.1080/15290824.2017.1347940
- Jantzer, A.M., Anderson, J., & Kuehl, R.A. Breastfeeding support in the workplace: The relationships among breastfeeding support, work-life balance, and job satisfaction. Journal of Human Lactation, 34(2), 379-385. doi:10.1177/0890334417707956
- Westwick, J.N., Hunter, K.M., & Chromey, K.J. Assessing markers of student development for dually and non-dually enrolled students in an online basic public speaking course. Basic Communication Course Annual, 30, 76-108. Retrieved from https://ecommons.udayton.edu/bcca/vol30/iss1/7/
- Anderson, J., Kuehl, R.A., & Drury, S. Blending qualitative, quantitative, and rhetorical methods to engage citizens in public deliberation to improve workplace breastfeeding support. In SAGE Research Methods Cases Part 2. doi:10.4135/9781473953796
- Anderson, J., Kuehl, R.A., Drury, S.A.M., Tschetter, L., Schwaegerl, M., Yoder, J., Bachman, C., ... & Lamp, J. Brookings Supports Breastfeeding: Using public deliberation as a community-engaged approach to dissemination of research. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 7(4), 783-792. doi:10.1007/s13142-017-0480-6
- Anderson, J., Zhu, Y., Zhuang, J., & Bresnahan, M. Metaphors that convey weight-based stigma in political news: A case study of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. European Review of Applied Psychology, 67(3), 139-146. doi:10.1016/j.erap.2016.12.007
- Bresnahan, M., Zhuang, J., Anderson, J., Zhu, Y., & Viken, G. "Governor of the House of Pancakes": A content analysis of the political framing of Chris Christie's size in online news media. Fat Studies, 6, 2-16. doi:10.1080/21604851.2016.1129930
- Britt, R.K., Britt, B.C., & Anderson, J. Theoretical implications addressing rural college students' organ donation behaviors. Health Psychology, 22(5), 650-660. doi:10.1177/1359105315611953
- Dailey, R. & Hauschild-Mork, M. Making it all count: A cross-disciplinary collaboration model incorporating scholarship, creating activity, and student engagement. InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teachig, 12, 64-78. http://www.insightjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/5-Dailey-and-Hauschild-Mork.pdf
- Hendricks, M.A., & Thomas, R.J. What's in a name? Journalistic boundary work and a high school newspaper's effort to ban "redskin." Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 73(4), 454-468. doi:10.1177/1077695817736688
- Hitt, R., Zhuang, J., & Anderson, J. (2017). Media presentation of breastfeeding beliefs in newspapers. Health Communication, 33, 1293-1301. doi:10.1080./10410236.2017.1351275
- Horstman, H.K., Anderson, J., & Kuehl, R.A. (2017). Communicatively making sense of doulas within the U.S. master birth narrative: Doulas as liminal characters. Health Communication, 32(12), 1510-1519. doi:10.1080/10410236.2016.1234537
- Kuehl, R.A., & Hungerford, H. (2017). Global citizenship in intercultural communication: Spatial awareness of globalization through map your consumption. Communication Teacher, 31(4), 220-225. doi:10.1080/17404622.2017.1358388
- Anderson, J., Westwick, J., & Anderson, J. More alike than different: Learning about diversity from people with disabilities. Communication Teacher, 30(3), 159-164. doi:10.1080/17404622.2016.1192661
- Chromey, K.J., Duchsherer, A.E., Pruett, J., & Vareberg, K. Double-edged sword: Social media use in the classroom. Educational Media International, 53(1), 1-12. doi:10.1080/09523987.2016.1189259
- Dailey, R. Honors teachers and academic identity: What to look for and be aware of when recruiting honors faculty. Journal of the National Collegiate Honors Council, 17(1), 151-190. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/nchcjournal/520/
- Dailey, R. & Wenger, D. Source variety, event frequency and context in newspaper crime reporting. International Journal of Communication, 10, 1700-1720. Retrieved from http://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/4431/1617
- Dailey, R. The path to professionalism: Common core, competency-based education and the needs of today's journalist. Communication: Journalism Education Today, 49(4), 25-33. https://www.scribd.com/document/319611283/Path-to-Professionalism-pdf
- Hunter, K.M. (2016). "Reality" revisited: Self-assessment of terministic screens through a political autobiography assignment. Communication Teacher, 30(3), 153-158. doi:10.1080/17404622.2016.1192667
- Malterud, A. [graduate student], & Anderson, J. (2016). Weight-based stigma and self-esteem: A test and extension of the stigma communication model. Discourse: The Journal of the SCASD, 3, 16-38.https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/discoursejournal/vol3/iss1/4/
- Westwick, J., Hunter, K., & Haleta, L. (2016). A digital divide? Assessing self-perceived communication competency in an online and face-to-face public speaking course. Basic Course Annual, 28, 28-86. https://ecommons.udayton.edu/bcca/vol28/iss1/11/
- Anderson, J. (2016). Student feedback on advocacy for Breastfeeding-Friendly Business Initiative pilot case: Brookings, SD. Report prepared for South Dakota Department of Health. https://works.bepress.com/jenn-anderson/17/
- Anderson, J. (2016). Impact of student canvassing for Breastfeeding-Friendly Business Initiative in pilot community: Brookings, SD. Report prepared for South Dakota Department of Health. https://works.bepress.com/jenn-anderson/2/
- Dailey, R. (2015, October 19). What to do about those absent students. Faculty Focus. Retrieved from http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/teaching-and-learning/what-to-do-about-those-absent-students/
- Drury, S.A., Kuehl, R.A., & Anderson, J. (2015). Community Conversation Report Report prepared from Brookings Supports Breastfeeding Community Deliberation Event. http://openprairie.sdstate.edu/comm-theatre_pubs/13/
- Lane, J.D., & Hunter, K.M. (2014). Getting a D-: The dearth of women in South Dakota public office. In M. Redlin, C. Stewart-Nunez, J.M., Barst (Eds), South Dakota Women: Vision, Action & Voice. South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum: Brookings, SD.