Goal 1: The department will pursue academic excellence through innovative curriculum and course development, student engagement, and a dynamic teaching and learning environment.
- Foster academic rigor and promote student success through engaged teaching, learning and advising.
- Involve students with faculty to enhance excellence in research and scholarly activities.
- Empower faculty, staff, and students to collaborate through partnerships within and external to the college.
- Graduate engaged citizens who contribute to the public good.
- Promote the academic distinctiveness of the department.
Goal 2: The department will engage in rigorous research and scholarship that advances science and/or enhances the quality of life.
- Apply student and faculty expertise to produce scholarly works that serve the public good.
- Demonstrate the scholarly impact of the department.
Goal 3: Broaden the impact of the department through partnerships, collaborations and academic outreach.
- Build strategic partnerships that mutually enhance the academic experience of learners, create career opportunities and contribute to community vitality and development.
- Use emerging technologies and institutional collaboration to provide undergraduate, graduate, professional and continuing education centered on traditional and adult learners.
- Promote intentional, responsive and sustainable outreach activities.
Goal 4: Secure human and fiscal resources to enhance high academic and scholarly achievement.
- Recruit and retain talented, diverse and committed faculty and staff and invest in their professional development.
- Engage SDSU Foundation to develop and implement a strategic plan for alumni giving.
- Effectively and efficiently manage departmental resources.
Goal 5: Embrace a culture of inclusion that values diverse perspectives and experiences.
- Ensure accessibility and inclusion by building a department climate that provides a welcoming, safe and supportive environment.
- Incorporate inclusion, diversity and global perspectives across the curriculum.
- Encourage scholarly activities that deepen our understanding of cultural complexities.
- Establish meaningful service and outreach partnerships with underrepresented groups.