- Brookings Main Campus
Your ticket to bring theatre to life.
Whether you aspire for a career on the stage or behind the curtain, this program will help you develop the creative talent, technical skills and performance experiences for a future in professional theater. Students in this major are exposed and participate in all aspects of theatre, through a broad-based education. Students will gain practical experience with the newest techniques and technology of theatre. In this major, the hands-on education involves participation in State University Theatre and Prairie Repertory Theatre. The major offers flexibility and can easily be added to another major.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have previous drama experience
- Enjoy live theatre, television, and film
- Have an artistic personality
- Are self-disciplined
- Are committed to developing your talent
- Stage manager
- Creative director
- Designer (Costume, Lighting, Properties, Scenic, Sound)
- Theatre Technician
- Entertainment (theme parks, cruise ships, Las Vegas)
- Disney and Universal Studios
- Park Square Theatre
- Artisan for Redbull Theatre Co., Theatre for a New Audience, The Public Theatre, and Second Stage
- Frankel Green Theatrical Management / Richard Frankel Productions
- Sioux Falls Orpheum Theatre Center
- Broadway (Wicked, Six, Chicago)
- National Theatrical Productions (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child)
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships
- National Broadway Tours (Cats, Once the musical, Bullets Over Broadway, Dirty Dancing the Musical, A Bronx Tale, Finding Neverland)
- Las Vegas (Le Reve at the Wynn)
Clubs and Organizations
- Alpha Psi Omega
Undecided or still deciding on a major and future career?
If you are uncertain about your major and have questions about career planning, you are not alone. Choosing a major or career can be a very difficult decision. The Exploratory Studies program may be a good fit if you are unsure of your major and career focus. Entering the university in the Exploratory Studies program will help you gain confidence and valuable insights on majors and minors available at SDSU and future career choices.
In addition, FOCUS 2 Career, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you reflect on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills to provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 Career by using their student email and password. After completing FOCUS 2 Career, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a Career Coach in the Office of Career Development.