- Brookings Main Campus
Selecting the Best.
Evaluation and judging consists of carefully analyzing animals or products and judging them against a standard that is commonly accepted as ideal. Trained evaluators find rewarding careers in livestock and meats industries positions, including cattle buyer, swine procurement manager, beef carcass sales manager and others. Furthermore, there is high demand for qualified judges at all levels of livestock shows from small, local shows to the national level. Recipients of this certificate will participate in evaluation of many species, including cattle, hogs, sheep, goats, and dairy animals, as well as animal products including carcasses, meat products and dairy products, while likely receiving more in-depth evaluation skills on one or more species or products.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Are involved in FFA, 4-H or other ag-related activities
- Enjoy working with or around livestock
- Enjoy using evaluation, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills
- Animal Science (B.S.) - Production Management Specialization
- Animal Science (B.S.) – Industry Relations Specialization
- Agricultural Science (B.S.)
- Agricultural Education, Communication & Leadership (B.S.) - Agricultural Education Specialization
- Agricultural Education, Communication & Leadership (B.S.) - Communication Specialization
- Agricultural Education, Communication & Leadership (B.S.) - Leadership Specialization