- Brookings Main Campus
Elementary educators set the stage for lifelong learning.
This important responsibility demands an understanding of modern teaching methods and child development, as well as a broad knowledge in multiple subjects, from reading and writing, to science and math. The program prepares professionals who work in educational settings with children in order to promote their cognitive, physical, emotional, and social development. Program content includes the theory and practice of working with children and their families and communities. Students complete a student teaching experience at the Fishback Center for Early Childhood Education and at a selected public school. It typically takes five years to complete the cooperative program.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working with youths
- Are interested in studying and teaching in a specific subject area
- Are a patient, positive, creative, energetic person
- Have strong communication skills
- Are willing to work hard to overcome challenges
- Youth development specialist
- Youth mentor
- Director of childcare
- SD, MN, and IA School Districts
- Boys & Girls Club
- Head Start
- Bright Horizons Corporate Childcare
- Childcare Licensing Service
- Preschools public & private
- Elementary schools public & private
- Childcare centers
- Head Start & Early Head Start
- Boys & Girls Clubs
Clubs and Organizations
- Association for the Education of Young Children - East Central Student Chapter
- South Dakota Education Association – Student Chapter
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.