Feeding the world.
Whether you choose direct involvement with animals through managing a ranch, feedlot or swine operation, working with reproductive technologies or nutrition, or assuring the safety and quality of meat animal products, there are many opportunities for Animal Science graduates to contribute to the responsibility of providing high quality protein foods for the world.
In this program you will explore how to manage, feed, breed and care for livestock through topics like nutrition, reproduction, growth & development, and breeding & genetics. You will gain management skills in capstone classes on cow-calf or feedlot management, horse, swine or sheep production, or value-added meat products. Much of your eduation will involve hands-on experiences at the livestock units or meat lab.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working with livestock
- Are passionate about animal agriculture
- Enjoy food - specifically meat and animal products
- Want a variety of career options
- Are involved in FFA, 4-H or other ag-related activities
- Livestock enterprise manager
- Livestock procurement
- Feed sales/consulting
- Breed association representative
- Meat merchandising
- Purina Feeds
- Hormel Foods
- Pipestone Swine Systems
- Family Farms/Ranches
- CHS (Cenex/Harvest States)
- Excel (Cargill)
- First Dakota National Bank
- Lueck Stables LLC
- Christensen Farms
- Swine Science
- Agricultural and Environmental Law
- Workplace Intercultural Competence
- Agricultural Business
- Equine Studies
- Meat Science
- Rangeland Ecology and Management
Still deciding? Reflecting on your values, interests, personality traits, and skills will provide valuable insight as you explore major and career choices. FOCUS 2 CAREER, a self-guided assessment, education and career planning program, will help you do just that. SDSU students may access FOCUS 2 CAREER by using the code: jacks. After completing FOCUS 2 CAREER, you may find it helpful to discuss your results with a career coach in the Office of Career Development.