Applied Sociology that Addresses Today’s Challenges
As the first ever accredited Ph.D. in applied sociology, we seek engaged students eager to apply their sociological knowledge and skills to real-world challenges. Students focus classes, applied work, and research in the areas of social justice, intersectionality, demography and spatial analysis, community development, and sustainability.
The Ph.D. program in Sociology is designed to prepare students for professional careers in teaching, research and creative activity, and applied practice in academic, government and industry. Students are encouraged to identify areas of interest that connect with faculty in their areas of expertise and interest. Students seeking admission must have an approved Master’s degree (thesis option), not necessarily in Sociology.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Have a master's degree in Sociology, Economics , or related field
- Seek a career working with data
- Have a passion for contributing to positive social change
- Have an interest in applying sociological research and theories to address real-world challenges and opportunities
- Are interested in working with communities and organizations to address today’s challenges
- Market research analyst
- Data analyst in a variety of fields
- Nonprofit or project management
- Professor or instructor
- Native Communities and Economic Development Certificate
- Community Development Certificate
- Data Science Certificate