Applying Sociology to Address Current Challenges
We seek engaged students eager to apply their sociological knowledge and skills to real-world challenges. Students focus classes, applied work, and research in the areas of social justice, intersectionality, demography and spatial analysis, community development, and sustainability.
Masters students receive advanced training in theory, methods, and the practical application of sociological knowledge and tools. At South Dakota State University, master’s students may choose from two academic tracks: thesis, and non-thesis options.
Is it for you?
This program will be a good fit if you:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in Sociology or related field
- Are curious about the world around you and an interest or passion for social change work
- Are interested in people and organizations
- Have strong writing and communication skills
- Seek careers in teaching, research, applied research, or data analytics
- Data analyst
- Community college or tech college teaching
- Nonprofit or project management in social and human services
- Native Communities and Economic Development Certificate
- Community Development Certificate
- Data Science Certificate