Our research focuses on the investigation of novel magnetic materials in the form of bulk ingots, single-crystalline films and nanostructured particles for permanent magnets, magnetic refrigeration, spintronic devices, and biomedical applications. The desired properties of the synthesized materials for a specific application are displayed in the poster below. The primary goal of our research is to provide physics undergraduates with important research skills in materials synthesis and characterization, preparing them for quality graduate programs or industry jobs.
Most recent fundings
1. RUI: Collaborative Research: Spin-gapless semiconductivity and half-metallicity in Heusler alloys
Award Number:2003856; Principal Investigator:Parashu Kharel; Co-Principal Investigator:; Organization:South Dakota State University;NSF Organization:DMR Start Date:08/15/2020
SDSU news release:
2. South Dakota NASA EPSCoR 2020 Research Initiation Grant: Designing Rare-earth Free Nano-Composite Magnet. Parashu Kharel; Co-Principal Investigator, South Dakota State University; Start Date:10/01/2020
Most recent publications
1. Wei He, Ke Chen, Rajesh Pathak, Matthew Hummel, Buddhi Sagar Lamsal, Zhengrong Gu, Parashu Kharel, James J Wu, Yue Zhou," Achieving High Pseudocapacitance Anode by An In Situ Nanocrystallization Strategy for Ultrastable Sodium-Ion Batteries" ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces,13,19, 22577–22585 (2021).
2. Wenyong Zhang, Parashu Kharel, Shah Valloppilly, and David J Sellmyer, “Large magnetocaloric effect in rapidly quenched Mn50-xCoxNi40In10 nanomaterials” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 54, 175003(2021).
3. Ryan Carlile, Juliana Herran, Shashi Poddar, Eric J. Montgomery, Parashu Kharel, Paul M. Shand, and Pavel V. Lukashev, “Perpendicular magnetic anisotropy in half-metallic thin-film Co2CrAl” J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 33, 105801(2021).
4. Evan O’Leary, Adam Ramker, Devon VanBrogen, Bishnu Dahal, Eric J. Montgomery, Shashi Poddar, Parashu Kharel, Andrew J. Stollenwerk, and Pavel V. Lukashev, "Chemical substitution induced half-metallicity in CrMnSb(1-x)Px " J. Appl. Phys. 128, 113906 (2020).
5. Evan O’Leary, Bishnu Dahal, Parashu Kharel, and Pavel Lukashev,“Various challenges in realizing spin-gapless semiconductivity in Ti2CoSi” J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 514, 167188(2020).
6. Bishnu R. Dahal, Parashu Kharel, Thomas Ott, Wenyong Zhang, Shah R. Valloppilly, Ralph Skomski, and David J. Sellmyer, “Structural, Magnetic, and Magnetocaloric Properties of (Nd0.7Ce0.3)YFe17” J. Magn. Magn.Mater. 513, 166989(2020).
7. Bishnu R. Dahal, Zachary Lehmann, Yung Huh, and Parashu Kharel, “Magnetocaloric effect in Ni2MnIn-based Heusler alloys with second-order phase transition” AIP Advances 10,015109(2020).
8. Bishnu Dahal,Abdullah Al Maruf, Sam Prophet, Yung Huh,Pavel V. Lukashev,and Parashu Kharel, “Electronic, magnetic, and structural properties of Fe2MnSn Heusler alloy” AIP Advances 10,015118(2020).
9. Wenyong Zhang, Balamurugan Balasubramanian, Parashu Kharel, Rabindra Pahari, Shah R. Valloppilly, Xingzhong Li, Lanping Yue, Ralph Skomski, and David J. Sellmyer, “High Energy Product of MnBi by Field Annealing and Sn Alloying” APL Mater. 7, 121111(2019).