Mission: The Medical Laboratory Science Program is committed to providing an education program consistent with the essentials outlined by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS). The program provides an educational experience for the development of responsible, competent entry-level professionals in medical laboratory science.
The program goals of the SDSU Medical Laboratory Science program are to:
- Provide an educational program within the framework of the University setting in accordance with the Standards of Accredited Programs for the Medical Laboratory Scientist as established by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS).
- Provide adequate numbers of entry level medical laboratory scientists to meet the workforce needs of the state of South Dakota, the region, and the nation.
- Provide the health care community with quality individuals who are competent to conduct laboratory procedures in large medical facilities and small rural laboratories and who demonstrate positive professional attitudes, ethics and practices.
The SDSU Medical Laboratory Science program will meet these goals by:
- Providing a curriculum which includes a general or liberal education, content specific theory and applications, technical knowledge, professionalism and clinical competence to successfully complete a national registry exam.
- Assisting students in career placement by providing academic and occupational advisement
- Instilling in students a sense of professionalism, commitment to lifelong learning and academic excellence
- Preparing students to successfully enter the health care field as competent entry level professionals that communicate well, appreciate social diversity and possess a genuine compassion and concern for others.