Interested in becoming a Medical Laboratory Scientist? Already have completed most or all of the coursework in a related scientific discipline? If so, the Accelerated Medical Laboratory Science Program is for you!
This 16-month program allows you to complete your B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science faster than the traditional on-campus program. Applicants to the program must have completed a minimum of 90 credits or have already graduated with a bachelor's degree. Specific pre-requisite courses for entry into the accelerated program include chemistry, anatomy, physiology, and microbiology.
The program is a mixture of online, on-campus, and clinical courses. All regular coursework will be completed online over the fall and spring semesters. During the summer term, a series of laboratory courses taken on the Brookings campus will prepare you with hands-on training for your clinical experiences. Following completion of your laboratory courses, you will begin your clinical experiences in a variety of health care settings including hospitals and clinics.
Applications for the Accelerated MLS Program
The Medical Laboratory Science Program accepts up to twenty-four students into the accelerated program. Applicants will be notified of the decision regarding their application in writing.
Admission is competitive and will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Submission of cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale of all college work completed at the time of application.
- Grade of "C" or "70%" minimum in all prerequisite courses.
- Completion of prerequisite courses CHEM 106-106L, CHEM 108-108L, BIOL 221-221L, BIOL 325-325L, MICR 231-231L or MICR 233-233L or course or content equivalencies as approved by the MLS Program Director prior to admission.
- Confirmation of ability to meet the non-academic Essential Functions of the program.
- Completion of an approved background check administered according to program guidelines. Expenses concurred are the student's responsibility.*
- Completion of an interview with the Medical Laboratory Science Admissions Committee.
- Completion of a writing assessment exercise.
*NOTE: An additional background check may be required prior to clinical placement, dependent on clinical affiliate requirements. Students are responsible for all costs associated with background checks.
Application materials checklist
Applications for the MLS Accelerated Program are due June 30.
- Documentation of ACT or SAT scores
- One copy of official transcript(s) (non-South Dakota Board of Regents students only)
- Willing to appear for an interview at SDSU upon request