The Medical Laboratory Science Program accepts up to twenty-four students into the on-campus program. Applicants will be notified of the decision regarding their application in writing.
- November 15 - Current SDSU Medical Laboratory Science Majors (minimum of 12 months as a designated MLS Major)
- February 15 - All other applicants, including transfer students or non-designated majors. Transfer students must be admitted to SDSU prior to applying to the MLS program.
- Any student who anticipates successful completion of the pre-MLS mathematics, science, and communication requirements prior to the admission in the fall semester is eligible to apply.
Admission is competitive and will be determined based on the following criteria:
- Submission of cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale of all college work completed at the time of application.
- Grade of "C" or "70%" minimum in all prerequisite courses.
- Completion of prerequisite courses CHEM 106-106L, CHEM 108-108L, BIOL 221-221L, BIOL 325-325L, STAT 281, and course or content equivalencies as approved by the MLS Program Director prior to admission.
- Confirmation of ability to meet the non-academic Essential Functions of the program.
- Completion of an approved background check administered according to program guidelines. Expenses concurred are the student's responsibility.*
- Completion of an interview with the Medical Laboratory Science Admissions Committee.
- Completion of a writing assessment exercise.
*NOTE: An additional background check may be required prior to clinical placement, dependent on clinical affiliate requirements. Students are responsible for all costs associated with background checks.
Application materials checklist
- Documentation of ACT or SAT scores
- One copy of official transcript(s) through fall semester (non-South Dakota Board of Regents students only)
- Willing to appear for an interview at SDSU upon request