The Case for Expansion:
SDSU Performing Arts Center
Forty years ago, South Dakota State University’s academic leaders envisioned a performing arts center that would enrich the university and the community. They had aspirations for a modern facility that would enhance the teaching and learning process and lift the human spirit.
Twenty years later, campus and community leaders renewed this commitment with a vision to expand those same opportunities and build a new facility that would benefit both music and theatre. That partnership resulted in SDSU’s current music auditorium and black-box experimental theatre space that serves the university and city — and draws more than 100,000 visitors annually.
At SDSU, our passion for excellence in the arts has never wavered. With a significant financial commitment from students and leadership gifts from private individuals, SDSU’s long-standing vision for a state-of-the-art facility has never been closer to being fulfilled.
With your support, we can set the stage for progress and build an extraordinary performing arts center for our students, for the community, for the future.
- Full-scale, professional caliber proscenium theatre
- Large rehearsal spaces for band, orchestra and choir
- Recital hall for ensemble and solo performances with professional-grade pipe organ
- Relocation of Music, Theatre and Dance into one building
- Establish Brookings as a premier center for the arts in South Dakota and the region
- Recruitment and retention of top students and faculty
- Cultural enrichment and economic growth
- Facilities necessary to sustain national accreditation