Starting on Monday, March 23, all courses at SDSU were moved online.
Online learning: Steps to make sure students can access online classes:
- Access to MyState, Jacks Email and D2L will be required. For login help, click here.
- Review the D2L Technical Requirements and Resources
- Establish a study space, preferably a space free of distraction.
- Review the D2L Tutorials
For additional information about online courses go to Learn Online
Preregistration started March 23. Academic advising services are available through distance methods to help with summer and fall registration. Academic Advisors will identify the method of distance delivery available. This may include Zoom sessions, phone advising, email advising and other modes of communication.
Academic advising will continue remotely. Watch for messages from advisors which will provide more information on how to access academic advising services during the remainder of the semester.
The H.M. Briggs library provides electronic resources which are accessible off-campus 24/7. If prompted, log-in with your university username and password.
Librarians are available for research and reference assistance, as well as to help with log-in problems. Online chat with librarians is available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Library e-mail and telephone messages left at 605-688-5107 are checked regularly checked.
The Library’s Interlibrary loan (ILL) service is filling and processing article requests electronically. Given restrictions by lending libraries, physical loans might not be possible at this time.
Wintrode Tutoring and Supplementation Instruction: Wintrode Tutoring and SI services are available via video chat through Zoom. All tutoring and SI sessions are scheduled in Central Standard Time (CST).
• Tutoring: Students should schedule tutoring sessions as they normally would using ConnectState. Step-by-step instructions are available for appointment scheduling, or you may contact the office by email for assistance. Prior to your tutoring session, your tutor will send you a Zoom meeting invitation via email. At the start of your scheduled tutoring session, click the link to join the Zoom meeting.
• Supplemental Instruction: SI sessions will continue to be offered at the normally scheduled days and times. SI Leaders will post the Zoom meeting link on their SI course Facebook pages. Simply click the link to join the meeting at the session start time. You can find the course Facebook page by searching: SDState (insert course here) SI. For example,SDState CHEM 108 SI.
Registration Help Sessions: Registration Help Sessions are available for students who need assistance with course registration in self-service. Drop in at any point during the virtual sessions to get help with registering for classes. The virtual sessions will be held:
- Thursday, April 2, 1:30–3:30 p.m.;
- Tuesday, April 7, 9:30–11:30 a.m.;
- Wednesday, April 8, 9–11 a.m.
Please make sure to meet with your advisor before attending a help session.
Success Coaching: Any undergraduate student who still needs assistance with the transition to online courses can used the instructions below to schedule a success coaching appointment through ConnectState.
Students also are welcome to contact the Wintrode Student Success Center at 605-688-4155 to schedule an appointment. Success Coaches will help students with navigating D2L or online resources, time management, course/assignment management and with developing study skills to support online learning.
If you have questions about Wintrode Centerservices, please call 605-688-4155.
Scheduling an appointment on the ConnectState platform:
- Click the blue “Schedule an Appointment” button in the upper right;
- Select “Advisor” from first dropdown, then “Academic Advising” from second;
- Select “Academic Support” from the third dropdown, then click “Next”;
- Select First Year Advising - Wintrode from the dropdown;
- Choose Nicole Schwing and click “Next”;
- View dates with availabilities and select a time, then click “Next”;
- Indicate in the “Comments” box which method of meeting you’d prefer:
- Phone – type your phone number in the “Comments” box, and Nicole will call you at your scheduled time (Central Time).
- Zoom – (an online platform which allows screen-sharing) – Nicole will send a Zoom invitation to your Jacks email. All you will need to do is click the Zoom link at the scheduled time to start the meeting. For more information about what this looks like, click here. Please connect using your laptop rather than phone if possible.
- Click “Confirm Appointment”
Classroom accommodations may need to be adjusted or adapted for remote access. Contact the Office of Disability Services to discuss any adjustments.
The Math Help Center is online via Zoom. It provides free math help for MATH 101, 103, 114, 115, 121, 123 and 125 without an appointment. The Zoom room will be staffed with online tutors Monday-Friday 1-7 p.m. Access the Zoom room link, which will also be made available through the students’ course D2L pages. This information has been communicated to students through emails and D2L announcements from all pertinent course instructors.
The Jacks Leap program is online via Zoom. Zoom meetings will include mentoring, supplemental labs, and 1-on-1 tutoring services provided to students. The Zoom mentoring and supplemental lab meetings are being hosted by the same Jacks LeaP Mentors who have worked with students all year. Students need to sign up for 1-on-1 tutoring through ConnectState, and will be sent a link to a Zoom meeting after they have a confirmed time. This information has been communicated to students through emails and D2L announcements from the Jacks LeaP Program Coordinator, Jacks LeaP Mentors, and all pertinent course instructors. Information can also be found online.
The SDSU Writing Center will continue to use ConnectState to schedule appointments. Please check the Writing Center website for updates. You may also email Nathan Serfling, writing center coordinator, with questions.
SDSU has developed options for students with technology access issues. If you are experiencing access problems, please complete the following online form. An IT staff member will follow-up with you regarding options available.
The Office of Career Development is serving students virtually by using its online tool, Handshake, and scheduling Zoom meetings and/or phone calls. Students may submit their resume materials for review, as well as discuss interview preparation and other career topics. To schedule a virtual appointment, students need to use their MyState username and password to log into Handshake. Students also may contact Career Development by email.
Finally, please know your health, safety and well-being is the most important. We will continue to support you throughout the semester.
SDSU Office of Academic Affairs
Morrill Hall 230, Box 2201
Brookings, SD 57007
Email: SDSU Office of Academic Affairs