The mission of the Office of Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Access (ODIEA) is to enrich the university community's understanding and appreciation of diversity, practice of inclusion, advancement of equity, and integration of access. ODIEA is committed to promoting diversity in every sector of SDSU and the Brookings community. ODIEA leads and facilitates the development of institutional policies and protocols intended to create a more representative, equitable, and inclusive university.
SDSU encompasses diversity as a core value that supports building a vibrant and inclusive campus community. We embrace diversity, equity, inclusion, and access for all students, faculty, staff, campus community, and university stakeholders in the conviction that these are foundational components of university-wide excellence.
- Equity - We strive to promote an equitable institutional environment where the collaboration of diverse thoughts, identities, and beliefs is valued.
- Access – Collaborating to eliminate physical, organizational, and attitudinal barriers ensures necessary compliance and meaningful participation, fosters belonging and inclusion, and affirms the fundamental right of all individuals to participate in every aspect of university life.
- Accountability – ODIEA strives to embody and embrace personal, collective, and institutional consistency, integrity, and transparency to continue to offer high quality and transformational educational opportunities, foster excellence and creativity in the workplace, research, and outreach, and build a strong campus culture that welcomes and values all individuals.
- Opportunity – Incorporating diversity and inclusion into university life is consistent with SDSU’s land-grant mission to provide access to higher education for all people and enriches the educational experiences, work, research opportunities, extension and outreach services, and programs offered university-wide.
University Core Values
The Office of Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Access supports the university's core values that include:
- People-Centered: We recognize leadership is derived from service to others. We are committed to creating a culture where all thrive and are supported on their own personal and professional paths toward lifelong learning, growth, and leadership.
- Creativity: Creativity is our cornerstone to expand knowledge, develop human understanding, and enrich quality of life. We believe that education and research/scholarship/creative activity reinforce one another and the best academic programs bring innovative teaching and rigorous research together.
- Integrity: We act with organizational and personal integrity, through honest interactions, professionalism, transparent and accountable decision-making, and respect for others.
- Diversity: We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, inclusive, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration and we respect individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
- Excellence: Excellence is achieved through continuous improvement, assessment, and accountability. We embrace bold action and adapt to an ever-changing environment. Individually, we are experts at what we do. Collectively, our impact is even greater.
The Office of Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Access is located inside of Morrill Hall, room 124.