Skip to main content
Close Search

Preventing Both Conflict & Student Conduct Hearings

Alcohol and Other Drugs

We’ve all seen films or read books that depict college life as a bunch of students partying all the time… but the reality is that is just not true anywhere, including South Dakota State University. Be advised that Animal House is an over-the-top comedy, not a documentary.  

To be honest, substance use can affect anyone. For the person who binge drinks “only on weekends,”  they will be harming their health. For some of their friends, they may feel stressed trying to figure out how to care for them or talk with them about the choices they are making, if it’s even possible.

Some students decide to socialize with a minimal amount of alcohol, and try to make good decisions while doing so, but sometimes things get out of control fast. They might be choosing to keep the drinking to a limit, but in an environment where there’s drinking and a number of people, it’s impossible to control what the others will do.

Just know that quite a few of our students choose not to drink at all, and the campus provides many opportunities for non-alcohol events.

Regardless if you are one of these examples – or you know someone who may be – check out our Facts for Jacks.

Facts for Jacks is a resource written with students in mind, but accessible by anyone who wants more information about alcohol or drugs, or some strategies to make healthier choices. It can also help the students who choose not to drink to speak up for what they feel is right for them.

Check out the substance use pages for more info at

Parent Alcohol Handbook:

Being a parent or caretaker of a college student may not be easy sometimes, and sometimes it can be hard to talk with them about alcohol or drugs. What do you say to the student in your life? How will they take your advice? Will they?

Contact the Wellness Center for information on how to get a copy of the Parent Alcohol Handbook!

Questions & Answers

Q) Where can my friends and I learn how stand up for each other? 

A) Contact the Coordinator for Conflict Prevention for more information about this. You can talk about healthy choice making, and how to appropriately, and respectfully, step up in circumstances.

Q) Who can I talk to if someone harasses me?

A) If you feel like you are being harassed or discriminated against, call our Title IX staff, at 605-688-4128, or make an anonymous report at

  • For any emergency, call 911. If the situation needs immediate response, but no one is in danger, call UPD at 111 from a campus landline or 605-688-5117 from your cell.

If you live on campus, you can also talk with your Community Assistant (CA), Residence Hall Director (RHD), or the Housing staff that oversees your residence (family student housing/apartments). Questions, inquiries, and reports of harassment or discrimination will be referred to the Title IX office.

Q) What can I do if a friend or a peer is starting to act really different or is talking about self-harm or suicide?

A) If it’s an emergency, call 911 or 5117 (the UPD number on campus). 111 is the emergency number from a landline on campus.

Q) I haven’t met many people who are from another country or culture – where can I find out more information about student groups that are different from myself?

A) We have multiple entities on campus who work with students of different backgrounds. Some of their links are below, but feel free to look up these student organizations too: