Skip to main content

Concerns and Complaints

South Dakota State University’s primary objective is to assist students meet their academic goals through a positive and rigorous academic experience. In the case that a student has a concern, the university’s procedures should be followed to address these concerns and/or complaints. We strive to resolve these issues at the university level quickly and fairly.

Academic Concern and/or Complaint

Where minor concerns arise, we ask students to raise these concerns with the instructor or appropriate staff member with the goal of resolving the issue at this level. If the concern is not resolved at this level, we recommend visiting with the appropriate department head and dean as needed.

If a complaint cannot be handled through these channels, the students may address the concern/complaint formally through the Academic Affairs office.

Academic Affairs
South Dakota State University
Morrill Hall (SAD) 230
Brookings, SD 57007
Phone: 605-688-4173
Email: Office of-Academic Affairs

Academic Appeals Policy

Non-Academic Concern and/or Complaint

If you have concerns or complaints unrelated to academics, there are many options to report.

If your concern requires immediate assistance, please dial 911 or contact the University Police Department at 605-688-5117 (111 from any campus phone).

You can make an online report, or you may also call the toll-free hotline at 844-880-0004. The online report and hotline are provided by Lighthouse Reports. You may choose to remain anonymous when providing information.

To make a report in person, please contact the Vice President for Student Affairs Office at 605-688-4493 or the Office of Title IX/EO at 605-688-4128 or visit us in Morrill Hall, room 100.

If you would like to talk with someone confidentially without making a report, please contact SDSU Counseling Services or Student Health Clinic at 605-688-4157.

Please visit Report It for additional information.

In addition, the following links provide more specific guidance on how to report a concern and/or complaint related to one of the below categories:

EEO / Title IX 
Crimes or Policy Violations

Grievance Regarding Student Behavior
(Contact Dean of Students)

Grievance Regarding Residence Hall Student Behavior >>
(Contact community assistant, residence hall director or University Housing and Residential Life employee)

State Regulatory Information

Any person may file a complaint with the Executive Director of the South Dakota Board of Regents to obtain a review and appropriate action on allegations that an institution governed by the Board:

  • Violated South Dakota consumer protection laws.
  • Engaged in fraud or false advertising.
  • Violated South Dakota laws relating to the licensure of postsecondary institutions or programs.
  • Failed to provide an educational program meeting contemporary standards for content and rigor.
  • Failed to assign qualified instructors.
  • Violated one or more accreditation requirements.

Where the institution has not already considered and acted upon the complaint, the Executive Director will refer the matter to the institutional president for review and action. If the complainant challenges an institutional disposition of the complaint, the Executive Director will provide for an independent review and disposition of the allegations. The Executive Director may be contacted at:

The Office of the Executive Director of the South Dakota Board of Regents
306 East Capitol Avenue, Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501-2545
Phone: 605-773-3455
Information Email

Consumer Protection

Allegations involving violation of consumer protection laws may also be filed with:

Office of Attorney General
Division of Consumer Protection
1302 E Hwy 14 Ste 3
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: 605-773-4400, 1-800-300-1986 (in-state only)
Fax: 605-773-7163
Email: consumer-help
Web: online complaint form

Out-of-State Distance Education Students

Pursuant to the United States Department of Education’s Program Integrity Rule, South Dakota State University is required to provide all prospective and current students with the contact information of the state agency or agencies that handle complaints against postsecondary education institutions offering distance learning or correspondence education within that state.

For students residing in a SARA state, the complaint must be brought to the institution’s home state SARA portal entity. Students may submit complaints to the SD-SARA Portal Entity.

For students in California, please contact the appropriate entity listed below.

SDSU’s Accreditor Complaint Procedure

SDSU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), an independent corporation that was founded in 1895 as one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. SDSU’s institutional accreditation information is available along with program specific accreditation.

Information regarding filing a complaint with the Higher Learning Commission.