Purpose: To inform researchers of investigator responsibilities when students are recruited to participate in studies as research participants.
All research projects that include recruiting students as study participants shall be approved by the College of Nursing (CON) Research Committee and the University Institutional Review Board (IRB). The Research Committee meets monthly during the 9-month academic year. Project proposals that include students as study participants must be submitted to the Research Committee Chair at least 2 weeks prior to the next scheduled monthly meeting to be included in the agenda for review.
- The principal investigator (PI) will submit the research proposal to the CON Research Committee ideally before submitting the proposal to the IRB. The proposal must include background, methods (sample, design, statistical analysis and timeline), instruments, recruitment materials and informed consent documents.
- The CON Research Committee will review the proposal for student research activity burden for approval. Student participation in research is voluntary, and no course credit or waiving on any course assignments in exchange for study participation is permitted.
- The Research Committee Chair will provide written notice of approval, decline to approve with rationale, or pending approval with request for additional information, within 1 week after the scheduled committee meeting in which the proposal was discussed.
- After approval the PI must inform the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Faculty of Record for the course(s) before conducting the study.
- SDSU IRB. Information about conducting research with human participants can be found on the research website.
Reviewed by the Bylaws and Handbook Committee: 4/2017
Revised and Approved: 12/15/2005, 11/5/2013, 3/21/2017, 2/23/2018; 3/31/2020
Links updated: 4/2017