Description: This guides the management of intellectual property and materials used to carry our instruction of a course and to determine ownership of those books and products acquired while employed with the College of Nursing.
Ownership of Textbooks and Desk copies
- Books purchased by the College of Nursing for course use are the property of the College of Nursing.
- All such books will be given to the departmental secretary and stamped on three edges to indicate "College of Nursing Property." The semester coordinator will then distribute books to the appropriate faculty.
- Desk copies will remain with the individual faculty member while teaching the course.
- When an employee terminates employment or no longer teaches a course, the desk copies remain the property of the faculty member, unless current desk copies are unavailable. The desk copies will then be given to the semester coordinator.
- Current copies of required texts will remain with the College of Nursing.
- The faculty member will retain ownership of any unsolicited books.
Electronic Educational Items
- Electronic copies of textbooks, applications or digital materials will remain with the individual faculty member while employed with the College of Nursing.
- When an employee terminates employment, access to the electronic items will be terminated.
- The faculty member will retain ownership of any unsolicited e-books, applications or other digital items.
Associated Link: Intellectual Property
Formerly Policy# C1760
Reviewed by the Bylaws and Handbook Committee March 2016; November 2019
University links updated April 2016 mtd