The honor society of Sigma Theta Tau International is available for students who demonstrate superior scholastic achievement and show evidence of professional leadership potential and/or marked achievement in the field of nursing. Therefore, membership is by invitation only and is conferred upon faculty, community leaders, and graduate and undergraduate students who display these qualities.
Sigma Theta Tau International is an honor society founded to:
- recognize superior achievement and leadership qualities.
- foster high professional standards.
- encourage creative work.
- strengthen commitment to the ideals and purposes of the nursing profession.
Phi Chapter #19
Established in 1961, the Phi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International is the 19th national chapter and has two units—one located in Brookings, SD, and the other located in Rapid City, SD. The Phi Chapter also has a Facebook Page that contains additional information.
Coming soon. Phi Chapter Grant Application (electronic submission) is due to Kay.Foland@sdstate.edu
- Town Hall - October 16, 2018, Time TBD, Speaker Amy Forbes, PhD, RN. "How Hope, Health-Promotion and Quality of Life is Affected by Parkinson's Disease." Lake Area Technical Institute, Watertown, SD
- West River Induction - March 13, 2019
- Living Nursing Scholarship Symposium 2019 - March 22, 2019, SDSU Volstroff Ballroom, Brookings, SD
Phi Chapter News
- Phi Chapter members held elections on May 9, 2018, and voted in board and committee members for the 2018-2020 term. Review the updated roster, below.
Phi Chapter Board & Committee Leadership Roster 2018-2019
Board of Directors
President / Electronic Delegate
President-Elect / Electronic Delegate
Counselor - West of the River
Counselor - East of the River
Leadership Succession Committee
Heidi Pelzel - Chair
Graduate Student Counselor (assistant)
Chapter Key Award