Purpose: Describes the procedures for revisions to the College of Nursing Organization bylaws and the processes and procedures for development, review and revision of policies.
The Bylaws and College Handbook Committee will develop and maintain the online handbook which reflects the current bylaws, policies and guidelines of the College of Nursing. All College of Nursing policies, guidelines and bylaws are available via the online handbook.
Procedures for revisions
- College of Nursing Handbook
- Policies are the rules and procedures that support the college organization. The website provides all organizational information. Resources are specific to the overall College of Nursing faculty, staff and students.
- Faculty, Staff and Students’ Responsibility Regarding the College of Nursing Handbook
- Faculty, staff and students are responsible for reading and implementing approved policies of the College of Nursing. When a new policy is needed or an existing policy is in need of revision, the individual is to inform the supervisor or coordinator, who assures that the information is provided to the chair of the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee. After discussion within the committee, a recommendation is made by the committee and the chair sends the request and the committee recommendation to the Executive Committee, who will consider the item as new business and respond to the request for consideration from the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee. The tasks of writing new policies, or reviewing and revising existing policies, is usually completed within the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee; however, other committees and members may submit draft proposed policies to the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee.
- Policy Format
- Calibri font in 12-point font is used for all policies.
- The College of Nursing logo appears in the upper left corner on each page.
- The policy history appears in the lower left hand corner of the last page, blocked to the left margin.
- Policy number and title appears centered and bolded at the top of the first page.
- Space down one line. The first paragraph should describe the purpose of the policy.
- The header appears in the upper right corner starting on the second page of the policy and includes: a) Policy Number-Policy Title (or former policy title and number) b) Page number.
- The policy history appears in the lower left hand corner of the last page, blocked to the left margin, in 8- point font and includes the policy number, date of review/revision, and date that the handbook link was updated.
- Procedure for Creating New Policies
- After consideration of the need for a new policy by the Bylaws and College Handbook and support from the Executive Committee, members of the College of Nursing Organization may submit new policy drafts to the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee chair. References used in formulating the policy should be attached. If there is no policy draft, the work of writing a draft policy is assigned to a task force comprised of committee members and other appointees as needed.
- The committee reviews the draft of the new policy.
- Once the committee has given approval, the drafted policy is submitted to the Executive Committee for review. The Executive Committee chair responds to the Bylaws and College Handbook committee chair with recommendations for change or approval.
- The Bylaws and College Handbook Committee reviews the policy with the proposed changes. If committee members do not approve of the draft policy, they submit this information to the Executive Committee with suggested changes.
- The Bylaws and College Handbook Committee make new policies available to members of the College of Nursing organization thirty (30) calendar days before the faculty vote for approval/disapproval.
- The committee then brings the final draft to the members of the College of Nursing organization for final approval and adoption.
- The committee member assigned to the policy makes the changes that are included during the final approval at the College of Nursing organization meeting.
- At the end of each semester the chair of the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee will send the approved policies to the program assistant in the Dean’s Office via email. Documents will be checked and then uploaded to the College of Nursing Handbook website. The policies will be published to the web by a member of the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee with assistance from the Dean’s office.
- New policies must be posted on the web page within thirty (30) days after they are approved.
- Procedure for Reviewing Policies
- College, Faculty, and Undergraduate policies.
- The Bylaws and College Handbook Committee will review policies and guidelines on a planned rotating basis. Each section will be reviewed every third year - College, Faculty, Undergraduate.
- Links to other policies and web-related resources will be reviewed annually.
- Graduate policies.
- The graduate faculty will review graduate program policies and guidelines every third year.
- Major revisions to graduate department policies will be submitted to the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee for information purposes.
- College, Faculty, and Undergraduate policies.
- Procedure for Revising Policies
- Members of the College of Nursing organization submit in writing to the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee chair any policy proposed for revision. References used to substantiate the proposed revision are attached.
- The committee chair assigns the policy revision to a member of the committee.
- The committee reviews the revised policy and makes the recommended changes.
- Once the committee has given approval, the revised policy is submitted to the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee reviews and sends recommended changes to the Bylaws and College Handbook Committee.
- If the committee does not approve of the revised policy, they may discuss it with Executive Committee for review and agreement.
- The committee must make revised policies available to faculty ten (10) calendar days before the faculty vote of approval/disapproval.
- The committee then distributes the final revision to the members of the College of Nursing Organization for approval and adoption.
- The corrected policy is sent to the Dean’s program assistant via e-mail. The program assistant checks the copy for spelling or formatting errors, then saves the final version to the website.
- The policy information will be updated to the most recent review or revision date current and will be posted within 30 days.
Reviewed by the Bylaws and Handbook Committee
12/2016 Approved by the Bylaws and Handbook