Expand your knowledge, skills, and credentials
The College of Nursing offers three post-MS certificates (nurse educator, clinical nurse leader, and FNP). The certificate programs prepare nurses for advanced practice in leadership, education, and clinical practice.
The APRN-C program option, which is the one certificate accreditation option available through CCNE, allows students with a MS degree in nursing to obtain further education to quality for FNP certification.
Program Outcomes for the Post-MS Certificates
To prepare Clinical Nurse Leaders, Nurse Educators, and Family Nurse Practitioners who:
- apply knowledge of evidence-based practice,
- engage in lifelong learning, and
serve South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world in urban, rural, and frontier health care settings.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Display competence within the legal scope of practice for chosen specialization.
- Evaluate and utilize research within advanced nursing practice.
- Integrate cultural learning into nursing practice to effectively tailor health care to the diverse lifeways of clients.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Announcement
The South Dakota State University Post Graduate Certificate Family Nurse Practitioner program has met ANCC's certification eligibility educational requirements.
Students who complete these programs have the educational preparation to sit for the ANCC certification in the respective role and population.
Applicants must also meet any additional eligibility criteria in effect when they apply for certification" (ANCC, December 14, 2016).