South Dakota State University’s College of Nursing had seven individuals recognized for their service at the 2021 South Dakota Nurses Association Convention and annual business meeting Oct. 3-4.
The two-day, virtual convention focused on The Year of the Nurse 2020-2021.
SDSU’s honorees were:
- Rookie of the Year Award – Danielle Currier ’08, instructor.
- Distinguished Service – Tom Stenvig, M.S.N. ’91, associate professor and Ph.D. program director.
- Nursing Practice Award – Brenda Andersen ’79/M.S.N. ’86/FNP ’94, associate director of the SDSU Student Health Clinic and Counseling Services.
- Joy of Nursing Award – Brittany Brennan ’21 Ph.D., temporary clinical instructor.
- Pioneer in Nursing Award – Sylvia Pickard ’90/M.S.N. ’97, retired faculty member but currently serving as a temporary instructor.
- Nurse Educator Award – Robin Brown ’83/M.S.N. ’99/Ph.D. ’16, assistant professor.
In addition, Venita Winterboer ’80/M.S.N. ’92, a lecturer on the Brookings campus, was honored for her contributions to the SDNA and the nursing profession for SDNA Districts 8 and 9.
Professor Emerita Kay Foland ’80 was chosen the association’s vice president while Mary Anne Krogh ’85/’11 Ph.D., the college’s dean, was selected to the nominations committee.