South Dakota State University’s annual Southeast Research Farm Fall Field Day will be held on Sept. 12 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The research farm is located at 29974 University Road, Beresford, S.D., which is six miles west and three miles south of Beresford.
The field day will feature plot tours, highlight research happening on the farm, as well as presentations by SDSU faculty, SDSU Extension specialists and North Dakota rancher Jerry Doan.
Jerry Doan and his family operate Black Leg Ranch of McKenzie, N.D., and he will be presenting on “Stacking Enterprises and Full-Season Cover Crops at the Black Leg Ranch.” They use holistic management to operate their ranch, in turn regenerating the natural resources and allowing wildlife to flourish. They have improved the soil health of their cropland and native rangeland while improving the bottom line and quality of life for their family. For their efforts, the family has received a variety of awards, including the Burleigh County Soil Health Award, Leopold Conservation Award, National Environmental Stewardship Award from National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and named one of the top 100 producers in the nation by Farm Credit Services, among others.
• Rye Cover Crop Work presented by Ben Brockmueller, SDSU Graduate Student
• Grazing and Soil Health by Sandeep Kumar, SDSU Assistant Professor
• Cover Crop Selection Criteria by Peter Sexton, SDSU Associate Professor, SDSU Extension Sustainable Cropping Systems Specialist and Southeast Research Farm Manager
• Herbicide Impacts on Cover Crops by Gared Shaffer, SDSU Extension Weeds Field Specialist
• Corn Grazing by Brad Rops, SDSU Southeast Research Farm Operations Manager
• Turning Silage into Beef by Warren Rusche, SDSU Extension Beef Feedlot Management Associate
• Annual Forages at the Southeast Farm by Peter Sexton and Brad Rops, SDSU Southeast Research Farm
• Stacking Enterprises and Full-Season Cover Crops at the Black Leg Ranch by Jerry Doan, North Dakota Rancher
• Q & A – open time for discussion
There is no cost or required registration. Everyone interested is encouraged to attend.
For more information about the field day, contact Ruth Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-563-2989 or Peter Sexton at email@example.com.