South Dakota State University’s Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College recently held its convocation at the Woster Celebration Hall in the SDSU Alumni Center.
Justin Goetz ’03 served as the keynote speaker. He currently serves as the university’s assistant general counsel.
The following student and community/faculty awards were announced:
- Excellence in Academics: Camille Massmann, Cold Spring, Minnesota; and Anna Milbauer, Apple Valley, Minnesota;
- Excellence in Leadership: Natalie Swanson, Vermillion;
- Excellence in Service: Zulema Meza, Sioux Falls;
- Excellence in Research: Jenna Christianson, Hendricks, Minnesota; and Peder Solberg, White Bear Lake, Minnesota;
- Excellence in Athletics: Rachel King, St. Michael, Minnesota;
- Campus Champion: Allyson Monson, Clark;
- Excellence in Professional Preparation: Erin Foth, Onida; and Melanie Heeren, Pine island, Minnesota;
- Honors Ethic: Kevy Konynenbelt, Fergus Falls, Minnesota; Ravi Panchagnula, Hyderabad, India;
- Community Builder: Matthew Buenger, Sheldon, Iowa; and Hara Mubashir, Brookings;
- Land-grant Mission: Kayla Kutzke, Lake Lillian, Minnesota;
- Fishback Honors College Student Organization Award of Excellence: Caitlynn Runia, Brandon;
- Rising Star: Matthew Harris, Sioux Falls; and
- Honors Advocate: Ellen Hulterstrum, Litchfield, Minnesota.
- Excellence in Engagement: Valerie Albert; Department of Counseling and Human Development;
- Fishback Honors College Advocate: Meghan Peterson, College of Nursing; and Will Prigge, Department of History, Political Science, Philosophy and Religion;
- Outstanding Alumnus: Toby Uecker ’04;
- Outstanding Community Partner: South Dakota Festival of Books;
- Friend of the Fishback Honors College: Dennis Hedge, provost and vice president of academic affairs;
- Distinguished Service Award: Dan Kemp, Department of Mathematics and Statistics; and
- Fishback Honors College Teacher of the Year: Evren Celik-Wiltse, Department of History, Political Science, Philosophy and Religion.