South Dakota State University junior Jacey Hupp finished fifth in goat tying at the College National Finals Rodeo June 10-16 in Casper, Wyoming.
Hupp, a junior from Huron, posted a time of 6.4 seconds in the finals. Hupp’s best time in the preliminary rounds was 6.2 seconds. She finished third at the 2016 CNFR.
Tori Jacobs, a freshman from Madrid, Iowa, finished 11th in the goat tying finals and 12th overall. The SDSU women’s team finished 14th with 140 points.
“Once again, I am very proud of how all our qualifiers represented SDSU on the national level,” Ron Skovly ’96, the club’s head coach, said. “It was great for freshman Tori to get the CNFR experience, making the short go and finish 11th in that round. Jacey has competed three-straight years at CNFR. She had a bit of an edge this year to get there but was able to use that experience to help calm her nerves and finish where she did. It was great to see all of the hard work pay off for them.”
Also competing for SDSU were:
- Reed Arneson, sophomore, saddle bronc riding, Meadow;
- Cameron Fanning, junior, steer wrestling, Olivet;
- Sterling Gehrke, senior, team roping, Castlewood;
- Gannon Gustafson, senior, team roping, tie-down roping, Hanley Falls, Minnesota;
- Brody Jones, junior, tie-down roping, Midland;
- Madison Rau, sophomore, barrel racing, Mobridge; and
- Kaitlin Reece, graduate student, breakaway roping, Valentine, Nebraska.