South Dakota State University won the 2018 Dakotas Intercollegiate Forensics Association title, the collegiate competition for North Dakota and South Dakota, held Feb. 16-17 at the University Center in Sioux Falls.
The Jackrabbits defeated Black Hills State University, Northern State University, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota for the championship, their third in six years.
In addition to winning the team sweepstakes, SDSU’s Keri Pappas won parliamentary debate and Lauren Buisker won persuasive speaking. Pappas is a freshman from Groton while Buisker is a junior from Volga.
“Everyone contributed to this win but our success in debate secured the title,” said Andrea Carlile, who serves as the team’s coach. State had three teams reach the quarterfinals. “We take great pride in being the best in the region. We hope to use this momentum to prepare nationals.”
The Jackrabbits will have five individuals, Zach Binde, Nolan Bowers, Natalee Graesser, Viraj Patel and Buisker, compete at Pi Kappa Delta National Comprehensive Tournament in Nashville, Tennessee, March 14-17 at Tennessee State University. State has already qualified five individuals, Taylor Gilmore, Kendrick Walton, Buisker, Graesser and Patel, for the American Forensics Association National Individual Events Tournament April 7-8 in Colorado Springs.
Competing at the 2018 Dakotas Intercollegiate Forensics Association were: Zach Binde, Watertown; Nolan Bowers, Watertown; Lauren Buisker, Volga; T.J. Bult, Huron; Taylor Gilmore, Dillsburg, Pennsylvania; Natalee Graesser, Gregory; Shaiann Howell, Carson, California; Benjamin Hummel, Brookings; Makayla Moate, Sioux Falls; Keri Pappas, Groton; Loren Visser, Brookings; and Kendrick Walton, Champlin, Minnesota;
- Team Sweepstakes: 1, Overall Team Sweepstakes; 1, Parliamentary Debate; 2, Individual Events.
- Persuasive Speaking: 1, Lauren Buisker; 2, Natalee Graesser; 3, Keri Pappas; 5, Benjamin Hummel.
- Poetry Interpretation: 6, Makayla Moate.
- Program of Oral Interpretation: 4, Loren Visser.
- Prose Interpretation: 6, Natalee Graesser
- Parliamentary Debate: 1, Pappas; 5, Taylor Gilmore;
- Finalists: Keri Pappas/Kendrick Walton, (2nd); Semifinalists, Zach Binde/Hummel; Quarterfinalists, Buisker/Nolan Bowers.
- After Dinner Speaking: 2, Walton; 3, Buisker; 5, Binde; 6, Bowers.
- Communication Analysis: 3, Buisker; 6, Graesser.
- Dramatic Interpretation: 5, Gilmore.
- Extemporaneous Speaking: 2, Gilmore; 3, Buisker; 4, Pappas.
- Impromptu Speaking: 2, Buisker; 4, Binde.
- Informative Speaking: 2, Moate; 4, Gilmore; 5, Shaiann Howell.