Take these steps to help yourself prepare for your NSO experience. Most of these items apply to all students who are new to SDSU, but a few of them may be specific to those students who are transferring to SDSU, while others may be specific to students who are first-time college students. If applicable, a note will indicate to which audience - FIRST-TIME or TRANSFER - the item applies.
Steps to take before NSO
Log in to your MyState account, select Dashboard then scroll to the Forms section, and find the New Student Orientation registration form to select an available date.
1. Start with MyState, your storehouse for personal account and campus information (pro tip: keep your username and password close by).
2. Activate your Jacks email account (check it often).
Note about DUO:All Jacks email accounts will be secured with DUO, a multi-factor authentication service meant to keep online accounts safe. Students will be prompted to set up DUO upon logging into their Jacks email.
3. OPTIONAL: Reset your SDState password if you're experiencing trouble logging in. For further assistance call 605-688-6776.
- Complete the NSO Pre-Advising Form.
- Consider interests that may impact course registration, including Honors College, Air Force or Army ROTC, Division I Athletics and Performing Arts.
Review your NSO Profile on MyState. Find the NSO Profile button at the bottom of the My Current Profile section. Let us know if you notice anything inaccurate, particularly your planned major, test scores and contact information. Use "NSO Profile" as your subject line.
NOTE: Transfer credit, dual credit, and/or PSEO credit will not be reflected on your NSO Profile. If you have earned any college credit already, make sure to let your advisor know during advising and registration.
- Send all final, official high school and college dual credit or PSEO transcripts to Admissions.
- Send all relevant, official test scores to Admissions (ACT/SAT, AP, CLEP, transfer credit, Smarter Balanced, Accuplacer, DANTES, IB, etc.).
- Review course placement policies related to English, math, reading, and modern languages.
- Review the Academic Advising Guide Sheet for your major(s) requirements.
- Review the SGR (aka general education requirements) in the SDSU course catalog.
- Use the transfer credit evaluator to determine if and how your post-secondary credit transfers to SDState. Please note that this may not be a comprehensive list of all credit that may transfer. The final, official evaluation of transfer credit will be completed by the Registrar's Office.
- Optional: Complete the Privacy Release Form, which authorizes staff to discuss your financial aid with parents/family members.
- If you completed a FAFSA, access your award letter through your Financial Aid Self-Service portal in MyState.
- Visit Financial Aid for information about costs and financing your education.
- Visit our Rabbit Food financial aid resource page for additional tips and deadlines.
- Review 2023-24 tuition and fees rates. More information about tuition, fees, and billing will be provided at NSO.
Check your Jacks email for your housing assignment. If you haven’t yet applied for on-campus housing, learn more and apply today. Depending on the timing of your NSO session, you may not receive your housing assignment before attending your session.
Steps to take during/after NSO
All NSO sessions will begin in the University Student Union. See the session schedules on the main menu for details about each session. You will receive a hard copy schedule as you check-in for your session.
We strongly encourage students to bring a laptop or tablet enabled with Wifi for course registration. Copies of transcripts for any college credit earned that haven't already been submitted to SDSU will be useful during course registration. Occasionally, you may need to leave the University Student Union to take care of NSO business, so an umbrella or overcoat can be helpful depending on weather.
Wondering what it's like to be a Jackrabbit? Which meal plan to choose? What it's like living in the residence halls? Ask one of our Orientation Leaders during your session.
We require proof of two MMR vaccinations. Use your NSO Student Profile to verify that the Student Health Clinic has your immunization records. Your profile is available on MyState. From the dashboard, scroll to "My Current Profile" and click the "View NSO Profile" button at the bottom. Find "Proof of Immunizations Needed" toward the top. If it states "Yes," click the link above to learn more. Immunization records can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 605-688-6450.
MyJacks Card online photo guidelines. To submit your photo, refer to the email from Card Services containing a photo submission link - this email will be sent about a week before your scheduled NSO session. You'll have the opportunity to take a photo at NSO if you didn't get it done prior to attending.
Please note that starting spring 2022, all new students will be issued a mobile ID only (unless student has an ineligible mobile phone).
Purchase your campus parking permit via your MyState account.