Steps to take before Virtual NSO
Complete this checklist to ensure you're prepared for a successful school year ahead!
- Register for Virtual NSO
Choose an available NSO date now.
- Consider Technology and Accommodations Needs
The majority of Virtual NSO will take place via Zoom. This platform works best with a desktop or laptop equipped with a webcam and microphone. A stable Internet connection and usable bandwidth are important, too. Please contact us at 605-688-6283 or NSO email with any concerns you have regarding your ability to participate.
ADA Statement: SDState strives to ensure that physical resources, as well as information and communication technologies, are reasonably accessible to users in order to provide equal access to all. If you anticipate or encounter any accessibility issues, you are encouraged to immediately contact Office of Disability Services at 605-688-4504, Nancy Crooks, or Disability Services.
- Get Familiar with Your Online Accounts
1. Start with MyState, your storehouse for personal account and campus information (pro tip: keep your username and password close by).
2. Activate your Jacks email account (check it often).
Note about DUO: All Jacks email accounts will be secured with DUO, a multi-factor authentication service meant to keep online accounts safe. Starting this summer, students will be prompted to set up DUO upon logging into their Jacks email.
3. Download Zoom apps. This videoconferencing program is available for PC and mobile.
4. OPTIONAL: Reset your SDState password if you're experiencing trouble logging in. For further assistance, call 605-688-6776.
- Schedule Your Advising and Registration Appointment
1. Details on how to schedule your appointment will be sent to your Jacks email about one week before your selected NSO date.
3. Appointments will be held via Zoom; however, you may request phone advising if necessary.
- Prepare for Advising and Registration
1. Complete the NSO Pre-Advising Form.
3. Review your NSO Profile on MyState. Find the NSO Profile button at the bottom of the My Current Profile section. Let us know if you notice anything inaccurate, particularly your planned major, test scores and contact information. Please put "NSO Profile" in your subject line.
NOTE: Transfer credit, dual credit, and/or PSEO credit will not be reflected on your NSO Profile. If you have earned any college credit already, make sure to let your advisor know during your appointment.
4. Use the transfer credit evaluator to determine if and how your post-secondary credit transfers to SDState. Please note that this may not be a comprehensive list of all credit that may transfer. The final, official evaluation of transfer credit will be completed by the Registrar's Office.
5. Send all final, official high school and college dual credit or PSEO transcripts to Admissions.
6. Send all relevant, official test scores to Admissions (ACT/SAT, AP, CLEP, transfer credit, Smarter Balanced, Accuplacer, DANTES, IB, etc.).
7. Review the Academic Advising Guide Sheet for your major(s) requirements.
- Review Costs, Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
1. Optional: Complete the Privacy Release Form, which authorizes staff to discuss your financial aid with parents/family members.
2. If you completed a FAFSA, access your award letter through your Financial Aid Self-Service portal in MyState.
4. Visit our Rabbit Food financial aid resource page for additional tips and deadlines.
- Get Your Housing Assignment
If you applied for on-campus housing, check your Jacks email for your housing assignment. If you haven’t yet applied for on-campus housing, learn more and apply today.
- Prepare for Your Virtual NSO Session
1. Learn the basics of being a Jackrabbit. The Jackrabbit Basics section of the My Virtual NSO Resource Folder has answers to a lot of common questions about your transition to SDSU. Review the information relevant to you and take note of any additional questions you'll want to ask at Virtual NSO.
2. Make plans to visit with campus representatives at the Virtual Resource Fair. See the schedule for more details.
3. A note for families: Advising appointments are intended for students. Outside of that, we welcome family members to join in on the information-gathering fun beginning at 9:00 a.m. on your student's scheduled date. Students, please be sure to share appropriate schedules and links with them prior to your session.
Steps to take during Virtual NSO
- Attend Virtual NSO on Your Scheduled Date
The NSO experience will begin at 9:00 a.m. Please check your Jacks email for specific Zoom links prior to your session date. You can view the full schedule here.
Please note: Zoom links will not be posted publicly. You will need to check your Jacks email for access.
- Connect with Orientation Leaders
You’ll have an opportunity to interact with OLs throughout your NSO session. Following your academic college meeting, spend time in the Zoom room, introduce yourself, and ask your student-perspective questions of our Orientation Leaders.
Keep in mind that you can return to this room anytime throughout your Virtual NSO session. OLs will be available until 2:00 p.m.
Steps to take after Virtual NSO
- Meal Plans
If applicable: To verify, change or sign up for a plan, open your housing application in MyState.
Visit the Jacks’ Dining webpage to see meal plans, locations and menus, and more.
We require proof of two MMR vaccinations. Use your NSO Student Profile to verify that the Student Health Clinic has your immunization records. Your profile is available on MyState. From the dashboard, scroll to "My Current Profile" and click the "View NSO Profile" button at the bottom. Find "Proof of Immunizations Needed" toward the top. If it states "Yes," click the link above to learn more.
- MyJacks Card
MyJacks Card online photo guidelines. To submit your photo, refer to an email from Card Services containing a photo submission link. We want to make sure to have your card printed and ready for you when you arrive, so please submit your photo as soon as possible.
- Billing and Payment
View your account information and pay your bill through your Student Account Self Service portal. The Cashiers Office will begin posting bills at the end of July.
Optional: Review available payment plan options.
- Parking Permit
Purchase your campus parking permit (beginning July 2020).
Purchase or rent your textbooks from Jackrabbit Central, SDSU’s Bookstore (starting mid-July).
Learn more about the First Day Access program, which allows students immediate access to their course materials, in digital format, by the first day of classes.
- Important Dates
Save these dates!
Meet State Move-in: Please continue to check your Jacks email for information on move in and Meet State welcome activities.
August 19: First day of fall classes
- Attendance Confirmation
Prior to the first day of classes, complete attendance confirmation on MyState to save your spot in your registered courses and to release your financial aid, if applicable.
- Additional Resources
Visit the My Virtual NSO Resource Folder now and later for videos, links and other information about services and resources available to all Jackrabbits.